When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strongest Cruiser Frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
In Theory any bike I ride should be broken almost instantaneously due to my weight and the amount of torque that I can produce. I know for sure going off a curb with a pre-war bike doesn't hurt the bike but with my weight i bend the solid half inch thick seatpost.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm surprised you were able to break two of them. I have never been able to crack a steel frame yet. And often take them off road on my rides. Maybe I have just been lucky so far. In that first photo I would have thought the stem would have broke before that frame would have.

xIganz-and-baby-834x1024.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3Zh8RAiy7t.jpg

Superman bends steel in his bare hands!
Very impressive destruction. That BB damage is amazing. I'm not sure if this Elgin can withstand the power of the Moseph, but it's got the right seat and bars.

Haha thanks I guess but I feel like the kids in The Sandlot. It was awesome when he busted the guts out of the baseball but then they couldn't play anymore, and now I can't ride anymore.

I'd look into a Worksman.

Ok, thanks for the info

I'm 6 ft 4 460 lbs and I haven't broken a frame yet. Now pedals bars and cranks well that's a different story and I had to stop standing up because it would shear the crank arm or the chain. Here's a pic of me next to my 41 western flyer which is basically my daily Rider
Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've broken just about everything else you can think of too. I've cracked the handlebars, a few stems, the front hub, I've broken a couple of cranks, axles numerous pedals, and the sissybar.

I have seen a few Schwinns broken at the downtube and also cracked welds at the chainstays /bottom bracket but never one with a bb shell cracked like that - that bike was truly hulked! I would cut out that section of the frame and have it mounted on a base as a trophy...

Yeah I'm not getting rid of it, I still have the snapped frame too

That is impressive damage! Kudos! As far as a stronger frame, older is built better/stronger material and the geometry of a straightbar is better than a canti. Think of the early mtb guys bombing mountains. They seemed to prefer the straightbar!

Thanks

Maybe go with a pre war / early post war balloon tire bike. I've had very good luck with CWC and Schwinn products. Correct me if I am wrong but a '69 Typhoon is a middleweight bike which will have a lighter duty frame.

Yeah, the Typhoon is a middleweight. I have a 58 Spitfire frame i haven't built yet but i think that is a middleweight too

I'm surprised you were able to break two of them. I have never been able to crack a steel frame yet. And often take them off road on my rides. Maybe I have just been lucky so far. In that first photo I would have thought the stem would have broke before that frame would have.

I've been surprised too. I thought that the first one may have been a fluke but I put that bike through a lot over the years. I took it off roading a little, used to ride it as fast as I could to get to work(my best was 3.5 miles in 12 minutes 1 second), and even pulled my slammed wagon with a cooler in it a few times which I imagine weighed in at roughly 70 lbs. I've broken almost every part you can think of the only thing original from when I built it is the seat, seat post, wheel hoops, handlebar grips, and the rear fender.

When I was working as a messenger I had a Schwinn Heavy Duti break both cantilever bars off the seat tube.
I took an inner tube and wrapped it around the joint as tight as I could and tied the ends together.
I road It that way for at least a few weeks before the new warranted frame arrived.
It road just the same as if had never broke !

Back