When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stronglight or Campy Nuevo Record Crank?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Next up in the stand is my ‘68 Paramount P12. The idea is to make this a reasonable long distance and performance rider, period correct, of course.

I know the Campagnolo Nuevo Record crankset was an upgrade option on these bikes, would I see a reasonable performance gain by swapping one in? Thanks for any help!

09104C65-F36C-483D-A974-B6EA70B88711.jpeg

----

In terms of gearing the smallest inner accepted by the present six-bolt chainwheel arrangement is 43T.

The period correct Camag Record chainset would be the 151BCD first generation which only goes down to 44T.

If you wished to fit a Stronglight model 93 (launch was 1967) , for example, inners for it were made down to 38T. The same limitation would be on the Stronglight model 49D, if you were to stay with Stronglight chainwheels.

---

What you have on there is quality. The TdF was won on this chainset...more than once.

Unless you know you will require wider range gearing than it affords I would leave it be.

Last time I checked your state was Alp-free. ;)

-----

Last edited:
Hmm - I thought Campagnolo switched to 144 bcd in 1966 though I may be mistaken... The small chainring on my '63 is 45 teeth - I offset that with a max 28 tooth freewheel - largest I could get to work but it works well for me. I understand the 144 bcd goes down to a 41 chainring but I've never seen one - only the 42.

Back