When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck 1896 Crescent Pedal Threaded Bearing Cap

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GiovanniLiCalsi

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I want to remove the threaded bearing cap on the 1896 Crescent pedals, without using heat. I can’t use a wrench, since it normally is removed by using a screwdriver.
What shall I soak it in?

C5FF10E8-541C-4362-A376-B671A302CF09.jpeg

C8954ACB-C479-4158-9F87-EEC1AC973C46.jpeg

8A4EB1D6-352B-4F11-A329-0C44D5F295AA.jpeg

Soak them in kroil for a few days then whack them with an impact driver and big hammer using the large flat-head screwdriver bit.. Oh, and clean out the driver grooves on the pedal cap 1st.
1587911526387.png

Definitely clean out the screwdriver slot- you only have one chance. Break out the optivisor and the dremel, and grind down the screwdriver to match the slot. The impact driver is pretty harsh- you will really have to clamp down the pedal frame. I'd use the propane torch, kroil, and propane torch again for a while. Lather, rinse and repeat. It will come apart.

I’m planning to soak pedals in the crockpot for a week or so. This should eliminate the need for a torch. I have used torches for freeing threads, before, but want to be very careful with these pedals. I have many different torches, acetylene/oxygen, propane and map gas, even have this MiniFlam for jewelry work.
Thanks for the impact screwdriver advice, very good!

136BDC72-CBB9-4736-B523-10C406039162.jpeg

Last edited:
And as Andrew mentions above, be sure the screwdriver/impact driver bit size fits the cap slot almost exactly before hitting it. This will hopefully minimize any potential damage to the cap. Heat is your friend along with repeated soft blows..& kroil..... I think you can buy different size flat driver bits everywhere..

Back