When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stuck crank bearing retainer 1894 Columbia

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

VITAL.SPARK

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm having trouble removing the crank bearing lock nut on the 1894 Columbia. I've tried numerous soaks with liquid wrench, heating with a pencil torch, hits with a brass rod, and C spanner. I really don't want to damage these 124 year old antique parts as they aren't replaceable! I would think the lock nut has a left hand thread as it's on the left side of the bike but have tried both directions just in case. Any suggestions?

IMG_0090.JPG

going back and forth in both directions a bit has worked for me in the past. Where i couldnt dislodge a nut or ring etc in the off direction, would sometimes move a bit in the tightening direction and would give me a little play.

i agree with the above post... more chemicals for more days and dont rush it - like you said, if you break it, it is broken! :)

Can't tell you where to find one, but what you need is a two handed adjustable spanner. Locks into both sides at the same time putting even pressure on the nut.

www.mscdirect.com
Order #95327714 about 55 bucks with shipping. There are other more elaborate spanners available but they can run into the hundreds of dollars. This spanner has two 1/8" pins. You

Order # 95327714 about 55 bucks with shipping. There are other more elaborate spanners available but they can run into the hundreds of dollars. This spanner has two 1/8" pins. You can probably wrap vise grips around the wrench for torque. Sometimes with these old bikes all that is needed is more elbow grease and a little less timidity in breaking something. I'm thinking the bearing race has left hand threads and the nut had right hand.
20181121_225007.jpg

I have a 2 pin wrench as shown but it's too fragile for this work. I'm going into town Friday and pick up a adjustable hook wrench as shown on the right. I'll then be able to put a pipe over it for more leverage. Interesting that you think the bearing race is left handed and the locknut right handed. this gives me another course of action! I assumed both were left handed?

Back