When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stuck crank bearing retainer 1894 Columbia

-

VITAL.SPARK

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm having trouble removing the crank bearing lock nut on the 1894 Columbia. I've tried numerous soaks with liquid wrench, heating with a pencil torch, hits with a brass rod, and C spanner. I really don't want to damage these 124 year old antique parts as they aren't replaceable! I would think the lock nut has a left hand thread as it's on the left side of the bike but have tried both directions just in case. Any suggestions?

IMG_0090.JPG

going back and forth in both directions a bit has worked for me in the past. Where i couldnt dislodge a nut or ring etc in the off direction, would sometimes move a bit in the tightening direction and would give me a little play.

i agree with the above post... more chemicals for more days and dont rush it - like you said, if you break it, it is broken! :)

Can't tell you where to find one, but what you need is a two handed adjustable spanner. Locks into both sides at the same time putting even pressure on the nut.

www.mscdirect.com
Order #95327714 about 55 bucks with shipping. There are other more elaborate spanners available but they can run into the hundreds of dollars. This spanner has two 1/8" pins. You

Order # 95327714 about 55 bucks with shipping. There are other more elaborate spanners available but they can run into the hundreds of dollars. This spanner has two 1/8" pins. You can probably wrap vise grips around the wrench for torque. Sometimes with these old bikes all that is needed is more elbow grease and a little less timidity in breaking something. I'm thinking the bearing race has left hand threads and the nut had right hand.
20181121_225007.jpg

I have a 2 pin wrench as shown but it's too fragile for this work. I'm going into town Friday and pick up a adjustable hook wrench as shown on the right. I'll then be able to put a pipe over it for more leverage. Interesting that you think the bearing race is left handed and the locknut right handed. this gives me another course of action! I assumed both were left handed?

Back