When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck seat post in a Bianchi

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HerrOtto

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello, I was not sure which forum to write this in so forgive me if it is the wrong one. I just picked up a Bianchi Volpe ,which I believe is a 2008. The seat post is stuck in the frame. I have been soaking it for days with PB blaster with no success. The problem has compounded now, as I was trying to twist the top aluminum bracket that is pressed in the post, and it is now moving without the post. I am afraid the bracket will completely separate from the post, leaving me with about 1/8" of the actual post to work with. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

20210302_054726.jpg

20210302_054651.jpg

Worst case you may end up drilling the post out. Try taking the crank and bottom bracket out, inverting the frame and putting in the PB Blaster in from the bottom. Be very liberal with the penetrate. If the bike has water bottle screws in the frame in that area they could be holding it in so remove any of them. While working as a mechanic on a tour it one time took 4 full size men, a 3 foot pipe wrench and a lot of cursing to get one out. Roger

Bruder Otto:
I'm not familiar with that type of seat post, but its seems that you think that the top bracket is pressed into the seat post and that the cylindrical bit showing above the clamp is the seat post proper. If that is so, and the bracket is moving independently from the post, then you might as well go at it hammer and tongs because it isn't going to stay together well enough to extract the post. However, what if the bit you see below the bracket is a shim and the actual post fits inside that? In that case, the spinning bracket means that the post is already loose, at least in rotation. Therefore, the same course of action is appropriate, i.e. rotate it and pound on it.

Brother Roger's advice is also good. The only answer to "did you put on too much PB blaster?" is the same as the only answer to "are you sleeping?"

Please let us know how this works out. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the assist! Lol

For those who dont know, the black piece fits inside the cylinder until it is spun and then it swings out and grabs in the inside of the pipe and spins it like an inside pipe wrench. Used to extract broken pipe nipples very similar to the stuck seat post situation.
Everyone should have a set, just for home use.....I do....

Aluminum frame and post? Or, steel frame and aluminum post? Sometimes a weak solution of lye With a steel frame and aluminum post works. Aluminum seat posts in a steel frame are sometimes impossible to get out. I know a bike shop where one of the mechanics tried to cut one out of a valuable frame he had with a hacksaw blade but he gave up.

Back