When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck seat post in a Bianchi

-
Never had luck w/ the extractors they push the interior out and wedge it tighter , soak it with liquid wrench for a few days first ! if that does not work on the steel balloon bikes i cut the frame and heat it w/ propane that allways works... :) but you have to weld it back !

What I would be inclined to do at this point is to make a pair of saw cuts in the unwanted sleeve where the relief slot in the seat tube is. This will remove a section of the sleeve and allow you to crush the sleeve a bit. At that point, if you can remove it, then remove it. If it remains stuck, wick penetrating oil in where you've crushed the sleeve away from the seat tube. Use a thin oil like Kano Kroil. Let it sit for a few days to works in, and then return to trying to extract. Do not rule out the possibility that you have corrosion leading to a chemical fusion between the sleeve and the seat tube. Steel can "rust together", but aluminum corrosion forms a white oxide that can fuse like a weld with other metal surfaces.

Fortunately/Unfortunately the bike is in great shape including the paint. I do not want to ruin the paint, so at this time I do not feel comfortable cutting the frame, although I am sure that would work.

I have used PB blaster from the top of the post, then turned the bike upside down, and sprayed through one of the water bottle boss to hopefully get the post from the bottom. So far that has not helped, at least with the extractor. Now I am sort of stuck with only the 1/8" of post sticking above the tube.

The black sleeve is what you are trying to extract, is it not? I mean a relief cut in the sleeve, not the seat tube itself. You could try oil and shocking the sleeve as well - bite into the sleeve with the extractor and then shock by hammer or slide driver through the extractor. If you have a cro-mo steel frame and an Alu sleeve/post, it could very well be galvanic corrosion.

SirMike, I believe it is the galvanic corrosion, as I really soaked it a lot with penetrating oil before twisting, hitting the seat platform out of the post. The post is 8" long inside the seat tube.

If you know how to use a sawzaw with a 8” blade thin enough to cut tube length wise ... thats the option i would do ... gotta have the feel for the sawza tho ... should take about 10 minutes .... keep blade in line with seat tube to prevent cutting frame .... just go slow and take you time

You can buy a seat post in almost any size but you need to get a metric measurement. Worse case a lather and an aluminum bar would do it. Roger

Here is what I would try; drill a hole in the seat clamp slit area of the seat post where you see the post. Use a steel punch & drive it upwards. If that doesn't work & you can't use the handle bar trick as mentioned then you're SOL without cutting the post to collapse it or the frame.

A pipe wrench should easily remove that though or twist the post/frame . I removed a stuck wedge via using a bolt screwed into it after somebody had bulged the fork neck. What fun I had finding out there were 2 wedges on 1 bolt & whacking the ever living hell out of it wasn't budging the stem. The top 1 was willing but the second was tighter than Dick's hat band!

Last edited:
Back