When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck seat post in a Bianchi

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sometimes you just have to know give up.

I would not recommend the sawzall technique. This frame doesn’t have the thinnest tubing, but thin enough. I’d definitely be concerned about scoring the seat tube because getting and accurate cut wold be virtually impossible by hand with any type of blade. Not to mention op thinks the post is about 8 inches long.
I’ve tried the hacksaw blade method and that’s not an easy task either especially with the whole post suck in there.

I second the Surly frame idea. Quality stuff for a nice price.

Without applying heat it’s basically scrap metal or wall art.

I have drilled stuck aluminum posts before on at least 3 bmx bikes using a 1/2 inch drill with a bit extention and correctly sized drill bit. Problem is finding the correct size drill so it doesn't cut into the seat tube.
Can be done.

Otherwise find a local metal workshop and see if they can drill it.

@HerrOtto I may have 1 unorthodox suggestion if you can get enough of a grip on the seat post; boil water as hot as you can get it on the stove burner & fill the seat tube .... carefully wrench with a pipe wrench. That applies heat at least without paint problems

I cut 3 slots vertically in the seat post with a reciprocating saw blade in a hand held handle. I put two screws in the blade preventing me from cutting too deep. Next I drilled a hole into the seat post through the slot in the frame that crimps the post. Next I ran a cable through the hole and attached it to a slide hammer. This method did not budge the post. My last straw was, I laid the bike on the driveway(on cardboard) between two vehicles and used a 4000 lb "come a long" attached to the post via the cable. The cable held up well, til it didn't. If the come a long didn't budge the post, it is never coming out.

It sounds like it may be fully fused along its entire surface through corrosion. That's an extraordinarily bad bit of luck, fusion through corrosion certainly happens, but that would be a very bad case of it indeed.

If it is that stuck & you're not going to boil or cut it due to the corrosion; It's drill it or find another frame. I personally wanna know what is so special or sentimental to a bianchi?

Dielectric corrosion, your only hope is to crush the seatpost enough to break it from the seat tube wall, I think I would saw down the post, the full length of the slot in the seat tube. From there use a cold chisel(or whatever) and hammer to start folding the seatpost in on itself, hitting on each side of the slit you have made. If the post is stuck down lower, you could drill holes(say 3/16) in the seat tube 180% from each other but at different heights on the seat tube--now insert a punch and beat like mad--you might get the required deformation, in enough spots, to break the bond. The holes in the seat tube(if left to 2 or so) would be of no structural consequence or ,if you must, could be fill-welded.

Back