When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck stem, need suggestions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tim s

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have been trying to get an aluminum stem out of a steel steerer tube. The bike is a 84 Raleigh Competition. I have been spraying it with PB Blaster trying to get it to move side to side and hitting on it with hammer with a block of wood as a buffer. I have been working on it for a couple of weeks on n off. Any suggestions?Thanks Tim

93AAD75E-3DE9-4C61-B29D-388551A8FD8B.jpeg

Is the wedge still stuck at the bottom? If you haven't already, put the bolt back in sticking up a few threads from the top and tap it down with same wood block and hammer. Wedge has to be dislodged before you can think about twisting.

Note: I've also had wedges with stripped threads. May have to try tightening just to make sure threads are intact enough to help tap the wedge down.

The wedge is free and loose. If I used a torch on the stem not close to the threads will that do it ? Will a heat gun also work?

I'd heat that up as hot as possible. Soaking it for weeks on end with a weak acidic chemical obvious doesn't work and a penetrating fluid IMO is worthless.

Back