When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck stem, need suggestions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Being a lightweight bike makes things a lot more delicate....😐 Not sure about a Raleigh, but hopefully a chromoly fork? That would help in the twisting department, just be careful not to bend the fork if it makes it to a vise. Worse comes to worst, the aluminum stem may shear, but that will allow you to remove it from the bike and cut or drill broken pieces out. If you are 100% sure the wedge moves up and down freely, you can try tapping the stem down with the wheel off and the fork backed up on something solid. ANY movement is something to work with, especially if it's corrosion we are dealing with. If you see it move, start twisting back and forth and don't give up, every little bit counts! I fear heat might soften the aluminum, point the torch down the stem bolt hole if it suits you though.

I have been doing the upside down thing along with right side up too. I have been straddling the wheel and hitting the stem with hammer and wood block. I will try hitting it with the wheel off and have the fork ends up on a block of wood. Thought about turning the bike upside down and putting the stem in a vise then with the wheel off thread a long 2 by 4 through the fork and use leverage to get it to twist. The 2 by 4 would be used at the crown end when twisting not the end of the fork. Not sure this would do it, any thoughts?Tim

I'd heat the stem up as hot as you dare whenever you think about it for a week or so. Patience is the key. Try to get the stem to rotate before trying to hammer it out from the bottom. Is the expander a wedge or a plug? Whacking on a plug type stem can just expand it. Find a drift punch taht will fit inside the stem and pound on that.

I read somewhere that the aluminum and steel have a chemical reaction and that ammonia will break the the bond .
I have blocked all the holes and filled the steer tube with it and seemed to work but also used heat as well .
Could be bullcrap but worked for me a couple of times .
I would try everything and be patient I soaked the hell out of the ones I removed with wd-40 and anything else I could lay my hands on
before I tried the Ammonia.
Would be a shame to cut that stem .

The theory behind the liquid ammonia is that it will react with the aluminum oxide and dissolve the oxide. Penetrating oil will not dissolve the aluminum oxide, though it is tempting to try it because heat and penetrating oil is generally used for iron-on-iron and steel-on-steel contacts. But it will not work well on galvanic corrosion between aluminum and steel. I'd be tempted to try the ammonia the next time I run across the aluminum-steel issue. I've been told that automotive antifreeze can do this as well, but never tried it. Thankfully it has been awhile...

Last edited:
So its the cone stuck in the steerer, not the bolt stuck in the cone?
Ive experienced the same and had good luck bringing the bolt up 1" or better then smacking it back down with a 2lb sledge. If that doesn't knock the cone out.... call an exorcist.

May damage the bolt head with a direct blow, metal to metal, but a thick piece of wood between deadens the blow by quite a bit. No need to wind up, just smack. I then got the cone out with the fork on the bench.

Back