When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stumbled across a 1898 Columbia Tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MartyW

Finally riding a big boys bike
I ran across this 1898 Columbia Tandem (or so I was told) now I'll just have to do a little research to see what is correct on it and what is not. I got to good of deal on it to be picky at the time. Sorry about the poor cell phone pics.

IMG00142201101031404-1.jpg

IMG00143201101031405-1.jpg

You have purchased a Model 48 Columbia Tandem most likely from 1897 or 1898. I have attatched a link to two pages from the 1897 catalog. It is actually quite an amazing tandem and the frame design, construction, and material was a tremendous step forward from earlier designs. It is made from 5% nickel steel which was the highest technology at the time. If you ping on the tubes with your fingernail you will see that the tubing is very thin. Of course yours does not have the original handlebars a few other parts and it is missing the front brake assembly.

So the rear handlebars can turn the front wheel???!!! Neato. I've never seen that set-up before. Very cool ride... and very cool catalog pics vonnieglen!

Congrats Marty and it's gotta be nice when you say "I'll just have to do a little research" and a single post member pops on completing your "research". thecabe ROCKS!

You have purchased a Model 48 Columbia Tandem most likely from 1897 or 1898. I have attatched a link to two pages from the 1897 catalog. It is actually quite an amazing tandem and the frame design, construction, and material was a tremendous step forward from earlier designs. It is made from 5% nickel steel which was the highest technology at the time. If you ping on the tubes with your fingernail you will see that the tubing is very thin. Of course yours does not have the original handlebars a few other parts and it is missing the front brake assembly.

Thank you very much for the post that is some great information!

I have a model 48 Columbia tandem. The frame is the only original thing I am told. The fenders, wheels, steering bars and seats were added later. Date of Mfg is 1897-1899 according the the records I have found.
Please send better pictures if possible so I have more records for mine of how it should look.
Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• Tandem_1.jpg
    Tandem_1.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 61
Back