When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stumped… Davy Crockett

-

Oldbikes

I live for the CABE
I recently picked up this single NOS Davy
Crockett pedal with a killer end cap medallion but can not find it shown or listed in any literature or pictures!
Any thoughts? Has anyone ever seen ‘em before?? Wish I had the mate!!
740D0040-08F3-4BB6-9C16-223F0E48F933.jpeg
3C14BA01-5769-47AB-A28D-D7F8B96F3399.jpeg
7F706C9E-FB76-40F6-9599-79A865BB310B.jpeg

If you don't find another cap, it would be easy to replicate that medallion, especially since the back is flat. Buy a small tub of plaster. [It's very cheap] Take the cap off the pedal and clean it. Smear a light coating of petroleum jelly on it. Make a tiny box out of cardboard, [ the crap type cracker, or cereal boxes are made from] Make it just big enough to cast your part, maybe an inch deep. Mix a small amount of plaster and fill your little box and level off. Gently and evenly, place your part into the plaster. It'll set hard in a couple minutes, so you have to work quick. Remove your part when it's set. If it doesn't turn out nice, do over. Carefully peal away the wet cardboard. Only use cheap cardboard for your mold. It'll help absorb water out of the plaster. Take your new mold and place in her oven or the barby and get it nice and dry. Now, go thru the wife's worthless crap and borrow her great grandmother's pewter teapot. Melt off with a torch the metal you need and place the remains back in her china cabinet. If she notices its all eaten away, tell her you saw a rat in the house and obviously it's been gnawing on her teapot. If your wife is anything like mine , she'll believe you. Look at her, she believes everything I say. She gets the look she has in this photo below, a look of doubt. . .but she always believes me in the end.

Pewter contains no lead, casts great and is very hard.

I've been casting all kinds of small things this past year. Been using the "lost wax" method making small parts. Flat casted [ like your pedal cap] this Paladin Chess knight for a leather holster I recently made.

So far I've melted and used the pewter from two teapots, one pitcher and several cups. The wife hasn't missed them, and if she does, who cares? Have fun.

If you don't find another cap, it would be easy to replicate that medallion, especially since the back is flat. Buy a small tub of plaster. [It's very cheap] Take the cap off the pedal and clean it. Smear a light coating of petroleum jelly on it. Make a tiny box out of cardboard, [ the crap type cracker, or cereal boxes are made from] Make it just big enough to cast your part, maybe an inch deep. Mix a small amount of plaster and fill your little box and level off. Gently and evenly, place your part into the plaster. It'll set hard in a couple minutes, so you have to work quick. Remove your part when it's set. If it doesn't turn out nice, do over. Carefully peal away the wet cardboard. Only use cheap cardboard for your mold. It'll help absorb water out of the plaster. Take your new mold and place in her oven or the barby and get it nice and dry. Now, go thru the wife's worthless crap and borrow her great grandmother's pewter teapot. Melt off with a torch the metal you need and place the remains back in her china cabinet. If she notices its all eaten away, tell her you saw a rat in the house and obviously it's been gnawing on her teapot. If your wife is anything like mine , she'll believe you. Look at her, she believes everything I say. She gets the look she has in this photo below, a look of doubt. . .but she always believes me in the end.View attachment 1637624

Pewter contains no lead, casts great and is very hard.View attachment 1637621

I've been casting all kinds of small things this past year. Been using the "lost wax" method making small parts. Flat casted [ like your pedal cap] this Paladin Chess knight for a leather holster I recently made. View attachment 1637622

View attachment 1637623

So far I've melted and used the pewter from two teapots, one pitcher and several cups. The wife hasn't missed them, and if she does, who cares? Have fun.
Love your work, and you had in me in stitches!

Back