When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid Question...Order on Axel

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Okay, this has been bugging me for a while. Stay with me...

After putting the hub in the dropout, what order of parts do you use to bolt it all down?

Washer, then fender braces, then truss' then nut?
What about fender braces, then truss, then washer, then nut?

I've found my braces and truss' warping to the shape of the dropout opening, maybe the washer goes first to help prevent this?

My ultimate goal is to have a safe axel in the dropout that won't come loose when riding.

I think you have the basic idea...I assemble them fork, then fender braces, truss rod, washer then nut because the thin parts will be destroyed by the nut. Same with the rear, frame, fender braces, rack leg, washer and nut

But my thin pieces are being destroyed by the frame dropout. I just want to be sure it's safe to put the braces and truss on AFTER a washer. Either way, I'm cranking down the nuts to about 90% of my power.

Which order is correct? Is there one?

From Schwinn Service Manual...

With truss:Fork,serrated washer,truss,fender brace,thin washer,nut.Bikes without truss:Fork,large washer,fender brace,thin washer,nut.

90% ?

Cranking down 90% of power seems excessive. I have rather weak, 73 year old biceps & I would never crank the wheel nuts down that hard.

Back