When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey Archer 3 Speed for Phantom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you're wanting gears on a Phantom I suggest going with a Nexus 7. Buy a Cruiser 7 on the cheap, swap out the wheel sets and save the originals to swap back later.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=202503315577

1542329277895.png

1542329427968.png

worked fine on my columbia,ya dont need an expensive light hub to put on just to ride one of these 80 pound beasts,find an old schwinn and use the hub for under $25
PIC_0001_zpsz18ljbju.jpg

Reactions: REC
My suggestion would be be a new-production Sturmey Archer 3-speed coaster, a Shimano Nexus, or an old Sachs Three-Speed coaster hub.

The older Sturmey TCW and SC3 hubs tend to have under-powered braking compared to the better coaster hubs. The brake shoes in these are relatively small in terms of braking surface. The TCW in particular should be used only with a hand brake because of a fragile E-clip that holds the innards in place and because if the hub goes into neutral, the brakes stop working. An extra hand brake with the TCW is very good insurance.

But having worked on piles of old Sturmey hubs, that is my opinions.

new preoduction sturmys are an overdrive,lers hear of some failures of the old ones,iknow numerous ppl whohave used these without a failure,if you start with a bad one exspect to have problems,there built way better than annyof the new stuff or the overpriced sachs

new preoduction sturmys are an overdrive,lers hear of some failures of the old ones,iknow numerous ppl whohave used these without a failure,if you start with a bad one exspect to have problems,there built way better than annyof the new stuff or the overpriced sachs

The modern S-RC3 3-speed model has the same gear ratios as the old 3-speeds did: 75% in L, 100% in N, 133% in H. You're probably thinking of the two-speed kickback, which is an overdriver. The S-RC 3 is a solid hub, but it's not terribly cheap. The modern hubs have made leaps forward in a couple areas: materials, braking, and electrical generation. I love old Sturmey hubs, but the old coasters were really a weak spot for them, compared to the AW.

On the old Sturmey coaster brake hubs, I've seen:
-cracked brake shoe base ring
-broken/torn central e-clip
-broken pawl springs
-torn brake shoe wire ring
-chewed up gear ring and planetary gear teeth

The classic case is the TCW that has gotten beaten because the E-clip migrated to the brake side of the hub, allowing the transmission half to free-float inside the shell. The hub will work enough that people try to ride them, but then it fails or slips, and finally they take it for work and it's damaged because they rode it with a loose transmission assembly.

And yes, some hubs come to you 'bad'. But too many are bad because of a mechanical failure followed by someone trying to run the hub. The best couple of TCW hubs I built-up took 4-5 parts hubs to part-together with the good bits.

Need a 3-spd coaster/IGH thread. They make so much sense and are under-appreciated. They transform the ride-ablility of any old steed.

have a set of electra aluminum wheels with big black diamond wheels, nexus 3 speed coaster,no mods,plug and play,check the ratios,you dont ger nuch more with a more $ 7 speed,49 phantom

Back