When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub shifting.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
oddly enough, when I pedaled backwards on my Sturmey it would just lock up the wheel.

Another helpful hint is to use lined sis shifter cable housing (if possible) along with a new cable. Also on the list should be to soak and clean the shifter itself in mineral spirits. Blow out the debris with a wd40 can or compressed air aftewards. This is a common oversight that will bite you if not 1st completed. Makes a big shifting quality difference. Hub should shift up or down easily with slightly lower foot pressure on the pedals.

Like many on this forum, I have a variety of bikes: 3-speeds, 10-speeds, 5-speeds, coaster brakes. And these have a variety of braking systems: coaster brake only, coaster brake with front caliper (left lever or right lever), calipers front and rear. This means that every time I get on a bike I need to think about how (and whether) I'm going to shift (stop pedaling? keep pedaling?) and how I'm going to brake (back pedal? left hand? right hand?). Life can be so complicated.

Back