When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey Archer - back pedal to change gear?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Octavius

On Training Wheels
I'm trying to fix up this old Breeze. Took it for a test run today at the park and the dang thing wouldn't change gear. Then I found out that if I back pedalled it would change, up and down, no problem. That must be a serious clue. Any ideas?
SMVV2975.JPG

Search for "two speed kickback hub". I wasn't aware they were still being made, but apparently so. They were definitely a thing when I was a kid.

If it is a 3 speed Sturmey Archer you need to stop pedaling forward when shifting.

Thanks for the replies!
So are you saying the hub should be replaced?
Incidentally, this bike came with a 3 speed SA and regular front and back brakes (hand operated) not the "coaster" type brake that you back pedal to stop the bike.

Gordy, yes it is a 3 speed and it would not shift, even when not pedaling forward.

Have you added any oil through the port? It might just be dry from sitting. These hubs are pretty bomb proof.

Sounds like it may have some broken parts in it...Put the bike in a stand, disconnect the shift cable, and while turning the cranks, try to pull the chain in and out with your fingers. If the indicator chain will not move in/out of the axle to shift gears while spinning the cranks, chances are something is broken inside. Best strategy is to take it apart, clean and inspect it, then try again. Lots of Sturmey Archer rebuild threads here..pjm.

If it is a kickback (Bendix Automatic) it will have 3 bands around it. My guess is it's just not adjusted correctly. There is a slight shoulder on the indicator chain below where the chain attaches to the thread in rod. With the shifter in second, the bottom of the shoulder on rod itself should be just even with the axle when viewed through the hole on the axle nut. Also the coaster brake hubs and the NON coaster hubs used two differant length indicator chains. These hubs are pretty tough, but you can blow them up so as was mentioned earlier, you should shift while NOT pedaling or at least with very little pressure on the pedals.

Back