When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey Archer Drum brake hub set WHAT !! 1940ish ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Shipping
$19 to ?
Zipcode

ivrjhnsn

I live for the CABE
So,,time to let these go . Never had or seen a SET, front rear Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs with rear freewheel from this time period . Both are 36 hole . They both spin freely. Brake arm actuator works . Brake expands . The front hub arm bracket for the fork is there In other words, they are usable . They do not look great. But find them if you can . If you have a set, please post pics . I will cut them out of the wheels unless you want them complete . Not a fire DOND🔥. Original Lever and cable are for the rear . I'm adding a Phillips caliper add on set up and newer old stock front cable assembly . No paypal. cash check money order please.

Last edited:
Awesome hub set!
I have seen these in photos and literature but not any this old in person. I do have an American market rear 3 speed drum hub from 1938.
I have seen the 1960s version, almost the same except backing plate color and rear cable fitting.
Are those 36 spoke American market or
32 front/40 Rear European market?

One observation. I know the cable and lever are for thr rear, but can you check something? The front drum uses an odd setup for the cable, the fitting on the end looks like the one the front uses and that fitting is practically Unobtanium. I know, I had to make something to fit minenoIt was not difficult but if that fitting works on the front that makes it easier. The rear can use the readily obtainable adjuster unit easier than the front.

Thanks, Rob

Awesome hub set!
I have seen these in photos and literature but not any this old in person. I do have an American market rear 3 speed drum hub from 1938.
I have seen the 1960s version, almost the same except backing plate color and rear cable fitting.
Are those 36 spoke American market or
32 front/40 Rear European market?

One observation. I know the cable and lever are for thr rear, but can you check something? The front drum uses an odd setup for the cable, the fitting on the end looks like the one the front uses and that fitting is practically Unobtanium. I know, I had to make something to fit minenoIt was not difficult but if that fitting works on the front that makes it easier. The rear can use the readily obtainable adjuster unit easier than the front.

Thanks, Rob

Front and rear use the same cable assembly, just different lengths . I added a newer front cable with all the correct fittings . Pic shows both.
Does that answer ?
Thanks.

Yes, it does and I thought I understood that correctly.
The only other question was the amount of spokes.
Fastest way is to count the holes on the small flange on front and multiply by 4. They look 36 spoke but I am not sure.
Thanks, Rob

You can order the ends off of eBay they come from England but the shipping to me in Canada was cheaper than I could have got if they shipped from the US .
you can also make them from old ten speed brake parts but they won't be as long .
Just look up sturmy archer brake parts .

Not the piece I am talking about. They were never used for anything else I have found. I even had a member from England who is very knowledgeable on British bikes look and ask friends that race vintage lightweights. Nobody had one or knew where to get one.
I can pull up the part numbers from a Sturmey Archer catalog, do a search and not find anything anywhere that matches that part number.
Trust me, I have looked. If there is something out there I haven't found, I would be very interested in them and would buy spared so I can make up cables for spares

I think the technical name is a brake “Knarp”. The cable end on old style Sturmey brakes. I’ve never found them for sale, but, didn’t look too hard, as a spoke nipple, silver soldered to the brake cable, works just fine and is almost invisible.

Good luck with the sale.

Ted

If you are looking for bits some of the current Dutch bikes use this stuff and Gazelle does have a some presence in both Canada and the US.

IMG_0030.jpeg

IMG_0031.jpeg

Back