When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey archer front drum brake stopper question

-

strato

On Training Wheels
Hello All,

I have this pictured front drum brake(2nd and third pic), but it does not have the stopper as circled in red in first pic.

What is the solution to use the cable on this type of brake I have, without the stopper and if I need a spare part for this, could you send me a pic of what part is needed? Also, if there's a special stopper needed and one of you has one for sale, please PM me or reply here.

On bottom I have also added a picture of assembled hub but it seems like it has same stopper as the one circled in red? The bottom pic is not very clear.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Untitled2.png

200247065_768300347214332_3110609333920540732_n.jpg

131578258_1463917953950331_1345041063445856028_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the one on the bottom has a clip attached to the axle and not like the one you have circled. Picture #2 & #3 look like possibly the same model? V/r Shawn

Looks like the one on the bottom has a clip attached to the axle and not like the one you have circled. Picture #2 & #3 look like possibly the same model? V/r Shawn

I don't think there was sturmey archer axle washer stoppers made?

pic 2 and 3 are same model that I need stopper for.

If we're talking about the Mk1 SBF hub from the 1970s, the part circled in red is called the "cable guide" on the model SBF and is part #HSB225.

The stock diagram for a 1970s SBF shows a screw-in stopper/guide on the reactor arm plate itself, as you show in the first picture.

pic-117.1.jpg

Without that, you need some other way to mount the brake cable barrel set up, and the usual alternative is a clamp-on stopper on the fork blade. This is basically a clamp, with the stopper/guide as part of the clamp.

Capture2.JPG

There is also a newer part, which is an add-on plate, that bolts into the axle and has the stopper attached.

Capture.JPG

Which method you choose will also matter if you are using a fixed-length brake cable, which needs to be matched to your stopper and brake arm set up. A knarp or pinch bolt cable set up can be customized to whichever you choose.

You should be able to get it to work out properly once you choose a way to substitute the cable guide/stopper. If you're reasonably familiar with this sort of set up, you can do it, but it's going to be tricky if you are new to fixing and setting up drum brakes because there are a couple variables you have to work out.

If we're talking about the Mk1 SBF hub from the 1970s, the part circled in red is called the "cable guide" on the model SBF and is part #HSB225.

The stock diagram for a 1970s SBF shows a screw-in stopper/guide on the reactor arm plate itself, as you show in the first picture.

View attachment 1430202

Without that, you need some other way to mount the brake cable barrel set up, and the usual alternative is a clamp-on stopper on the fork blade. This is basically a clamp, with the stopper/guide as part of the clamp.

View attachment 1430199

There is also a newer part, which is an add-on plate, that bolts into the axle and has the stopper attached.

View attachment 1430198

Which method you choose will also matter if you are using a fixed-length brake cable, which needs to be matched to your stopper and brake arm set up. A knarp or pinch bolt cable set up can be customized to whichever you choose.

You should be able to get it to work out properly once you choose a way to substitute the cable guide/stopper. If you're reasonably familiar with this sort of set up, you can do it, but it's going to be tricky if you are new to fixing and setting up drum brakes because there are a couple variables you have to work out.

Thank you that is very useful info,

I wonder what would the newer type add-on adapter plate called in bike shop terms and what might be the part code if there's such available?

To me it seems like the stopper type with stopper on drum brake frame is the newer type and one without the stopper on drum brake frame is the older type.

If there's pictures of how the fork clamp should look , that would be very helpful, I can't figure out how it's installed completely.

Most of the old front brakes have the stopper on the front brake itself, as you show in your pictures. Some of the older ones use a clamp as shown in the picture I added above. I would be inclined to try to find a proper stopper or stopper clamp rather than trying to patch together modern and vintage spec parts. The Holland Bike Shop has a similar part, though you would need to ask them if this is compatible HS226 vs HS225.

If you want to look for a stopper or clamp in the US, I would check with the following:

Rat City Bikes: http://www.rideyourbike.com/

Yellow Jersey Bike Shop: http://www.yellowjersey.org/

Roger's Motors/Albion Wheels: https://jollyrogersmotors.com/

Funthingsfound on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/str/funthingsfound?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Those all have Sturmey Archer hubs and parts around, and they have helpful people who might have a stopper/guide or a clamp that will work in a parts drawer somewhere.

Back