When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey Archer Issues

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This bike is a late 60's Raleigh Sports. The wheel set is 26x1-3/8. It has a 46x17 gearing set up. I'm making it up as a model 21 that would have drop bars for a bike ride event coming up in June. It's been an experimental bike so it has had many different configurations over the last year or two. Last week while out testing it all seemed fine till I heard a loud noise and the rear wheel came to a halt. The wheel had shifted or slammed into the frame. This happened again on Friday even though I thought I fixed it. It's now on my bike stand and even though I've tried a different wheel and different chain it has done it again. I am going to check everything this afternoon completely. The first time it happened I thought the chain was to slack and it jumped off track, as it was off the sprocket. Puzzled.....

Oh, I forgot....when I've taken the wheel off the hub spins freely in my hands. No unusual sounds.

Excellent. If the sturmey hubs' axle nuts are not stripped and tight but it still does this, then one of two things: your sprocket teeth or chainring teeth are badly bent somewhere or you have a totally busted axle internally, allowing the hub shell to move. If the hub shell feels loose when clamped in the frame tightly, the axle is busted..

I caught a picture of it when it happens. Also, at this point I can move the pedal back ever so slightly and pedal forward till it happens again. I'm going to chain the sprocket. Thanks.

IMG_20190324_133607127.jpg

Well, I adjusted the hub as close as I could just in case, changed the rear sprocket with another 17t one, got the chain as tight as I could and went on a test ride. No problems at all. I think I heard one small 'pop', maybe. Looks the hills just fine and got up to a decent speed. Fixed? Who knows..... Thanks all!

Bent tooth left or right? The big link pin in chain seems unusual in photo. Maybe frozen?

Bent tooth left or right? The big link pin in chain seems unusual in photo. Maybe frozen?
You got better eyes than I do! I just can't see anything wrong, but I'm going to throw it out so I don't use it again! The chain is brand new, but almost does feel froze in a place or two. Odd.

Back