When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey Archer Pinch Nut Arm is Different

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Kemoco

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I have what I believe to be a NOS Sturmey Archer front drum brake hub (FC). What cable pinch nut goes on the end of this cable? The typical S-A arm takes a barrel pinch nut. What is going on with my arm? I have a slider pinch nut but it doesn't fit into my arm.

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Last edited:
1706477434690.png

I'm going to buy a new arm and a new anchor bolt. This solves my problem, I never could find a picture of the arm that I have.

The simplest fix for that is to order the proper length cable.

I suppose you'd still call that a Clevis on the end of the arm, but that is made for a fixed length cable with bell ends at both ends of the cable. I believe that can be fixed with a part that they call a Cable Knarp. It's a replacement cable end with a set screw in it. Let me see if I can find mine and a clevis like that to see if the Knarp will fit it.

The other option would be to drill the rivet off to remove the clevis and install a standard cable cinch, or a Schwinn style clevis.

So here is the follow up. The cable cinch nut that came with it does fit. It is not like it would seems and the cable has to squeezed out on a funny forced angle against the brake arm, but it works (see the 1st picture). The entire brake set was new in the box (true NOS), so it was complete and correct. I don't know why I couldn't find any details, photos or info on the setup.

1953 Jet Rider-7.jpg

1953 Jet Rider-8.jpg

1953 Jet Rider-9.jpg

1953 Jet Rider-10.jpg

1953 Jet Rider-11.jpg

Sorry, I completely dropped the ball on getting you pictures. I found a derailleur part that I had been looking for in my brake hardware bin and went all "Squirrel!" Lol

The FC stamped hub I have has this cable:
PXL_20240201_011016412.jpg
Much better for quick release function...
The part you have there, I always thought was designed to fit a spoke and was used to actuate an odometer, but I could be wrong. I'll have to look through my Sturmey catalog for that cinch nut.

This is the Knarp I was talking about though. It fits neatly and will most certainly hold on to a cable...but does not quick release from that recess like the double ended cable does. You'd have to loosen the set screw/cable to remove the wheel and re-lace it into the Knarp each time for an off bike tire change, or I guess remove the brake arm like in your picture.

PXL_20240201_010527573.jpg

The brake assembly was NOS in the box, It came with that cable nut and works. I still cannot find anything on the brake lever nut anywhere, not even a photo. Does anyone have a old catalog that shows the brake arm like the that I first posted?

Back