When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sturmey Archer Tricoaster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fordsnake

I live for the CABE
Ok, I've taxed my brain cells on this topic and I now need your assistance?

I recently purchased a Sturmey Archer Tricoaster for a project next year. The hub has a large "S” stamped above the name Sturmey Archer. In my research, I've found some interesting tidbits about the hub. First, it was introduced in the USA market late 1914, after having a 10 year established acceptance in England! It first appeared in1915 on several high grade bicycles; namely Pope brands, plus the Excelsior & Dayton. So far there's no mention of Sears involvement or the Sears Chief – even though evidence (advertisments) prove the Chiefs were SA equipped.

I did find this excerpt from John S. Allen Bicycle Blog: Mr. Allen references, “The Sturmey-Archer Story’ by Tony Hadland, (1987) On May 7,1914 Sturmey-Archer did a deal with Sears Roebuck & Co. Sears were to pay £500 for use of Sturmey-Archer’s patents, plus a royalty on each hub. So, I’m guessing the ‘S’ stands for Sears.”– John S. Allen

The last line in Mr. Allens statement intrigued me…he didn’t acknowledge that Mr. Hadland confirmed the origin of the “S”? Instead he gave us a subjective opinion and not a fact, that it stood for Sears.http://john-s-allen.com/blog/?p=594

It’s very easy to surmised or speculate the plausibility of what may have occurred or happened…after all who can challenge a conjecture without evidence? I‘ve spent several days now searching online for evidence about this Sturmey Archer & Sears agreement, or Sears manufacturing SA's (so far, I’ve found nothing). Don’t get me wrong…I’m not disputing Sears involvement, I’m sure it existed.

In fact, the Sturmey Archer website concurs, there was an agreement…but it also suggest the Type “S” refers to USA manufacturing! http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/images/photos/pic-493.4.jpg

So, here’s my question; were all SA Tricoaster hubs made in the U.S.A? Were all U.S.A hubs stamped with an “S?” Did the “S” only appeared on Sears bicycles?

So far, I have not found evidence of an early Sturmey Archer Tricoaster without the stamped “S.” However, much of the printed material in 1915-17 i.e., catalogs, newspapers and magazines show the hub but without the “S”…go figure?
SA Hub.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a head scratcher...Sturmey Archer states “the “S” hubs were identical to the English Type “F” hub.”
Sturmey Archer Note.jpg

In 1914 the British government took control of Sturmey Archer to supply its troops. So who produced the Type "F" hub, the War Office or Sturmey Archer?
Sturmey Archer War office.jpg

And here's the kicker...if you look on the Sturmey Archer historical website, http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/index.php?page=history there’s no "F" ever existing! There's a FX ,FN, FM, TF, BFT, but no “F”. Also note who handled the SA hub in the US market (no Sears)
Sturmey Archer Review .jpg

Last edited:
• Oct. 1914, Cycle Mfg. & Supply Co., announced and began advertising the SA Tricoaster in the US market. Note that King Sewing Machine Co is featured as the manufacturer and home of the US Sturmey Archer.
SA AD .jpg

• In 1915 - SA Tricoaster is showcased on several brand bicycles as standard equipment and optional for any chain driven bicycle.
Sturmey Archer .jpg

There's no "S" marking in these ads or any mentioning of Sears, Roebuck. Obviously there's more to be discovered...stay tuned.
SA Ad 4A.jpg

Last edited:
As I've shared, there are several advertisements referencing the production of the Sturmey Archer Tricoaster, referencing that the home of the SA Tricoaster manufacturing was at the King Sewing Machine Co plant! Plus, all the sales and distribution were handled by the Cycle Mfg.,& Supply Co., of Chicago!

King Sewing B.jpg

King Sewing aa.jpg

Then I found an interesting nugget – King Sewing Machines were sold by Sears & Roebuck Co.

As I peeled back the layers, I found the ah-ha –

The King Sewing Machine Company was most successful in attracting the attention of Sears, Roebuck, & Co. in 1909, which provided the $150,000 capital for King to construct an 8-acre manufacturing complex on Rano Street in Black Rock on land leased from Walter H. Schoellkopf. It was well-located adjacent to the Lackawanna Belt Line. Several city streets were terminated to allow for the $150,000 complex. It was an all-electric factory, which pleased the residential neighborhood. King was now a subsidiary of Sears, Roebuck which contracted for the entire output of the King Sewing Machine Company, to be sold under the Sears brand. Buffalo papers reported that Sears had wanted the factory located in Cleveland, but Buffalo interests persuaded the company to maintain a Buffalo presence. The factory would provide 500-600 full-time jobs. In 1912, the factory expanded, using 500 tons of steel to construct 4 additional buildings.

This still doesn't answer...why Sears went under the radar? Unlike many manufacturers and producers of the time, this would have been considered big news! More to come...

Last edited:
Outstanding detective work!
So was there a British distributor the began with the letter F?
If that's the case, then I think, that would clinch the S standing for Sears.

I have found that on occasion not all Sturmey Archer hubs are known. I have an early K hub that is stamped with the letter A. I have seen an advertisement saying the new K hubs was an exclusive to Alldays cycles. Does that also mean I have one built for Alldays?

Back