When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suburbans...I forgot how great they ride

-
I bought this '73 a couple months ago for peanuts. Absolutely mint condition, doubt it was ridden more than a handful of times. I had to sell it though, as every time I worked on it, moved it, BREATHED on it, I put a scratch in the finish, and I couldn't take it any more. Sold it to an acquaintance where it's now in loving hands, though I still miss it dearly and will definitely buy another one when the time is right, though one not so tall.

thumbnail_IMG_6387.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6388.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6389.jpg

The positron front free wheel was a good shifting system but I don’t believe there’s a lot of parts out there today
It’s fairly trouble and maintenance free. The gear shifting wire broke on mine a couple of years back but found a NOS one on eBay for $20.

what 27 inch tires did you use to replace the old ones? they dont come 27 x 1.25 anymore Wanting to put my old 1970 / 1971 Suburban back to ride able condition. Still has original tires Thank You, Tom

what 27 inch tires did you use to replace the old ones? they dont come 27 x 1.25 anymore Wanting to put my old 1970 / 1971 Suburban back to ride able condition. Still has original tires Thank You, Tom

Here you go, have fun Christmas shopping.

I highly recommended Continental tires that fit right on and have EXCELLENT traction. I have a pair of Duros that would NOT seat properly no matter what.

I highly recommended Continental tires that fit right on and have EXCELLENT traction. I have a pair of Duros that would NOT seat properly no matter what.
Sometimes, it's the rim that determines how well a tire seats, or doesn't. I had a '79 Fuji S-12S that I could never get a tire of any brand to seat on. Once the pressure hit 70lbs, the tire would creep off the rim. Even my LBS gave up. The bike itself had not been ridden much and the rims had no damage.

The '73 World Voyageur I had was a different story. It took Park metal tire levers to get the bead seated. They were straight side rims and could be pumped up to 90lbs with no bead creep. This was with Kenda 27 1 1/4 gum walls. Very tight tolerances on these rims, which I believe were Arayas.

With the Chicago Schwinns, I have found it easier to seat tires on the steel S-6 rims vs the Weinmann alloy rims found on Super Sports, Sports Tourers, etc. My '71 Suburban and '74 Varsity are both equipped with Kenda 27 x 1 1/14

20221204_162014.jpg

On my Suburban, I finally took the time to decipher and lookup the name and address on the bike shop sticker. Turns out the bike shop (which isn't in business now) is/was close to my house. There's a Chicago police station on that location now (near the corner of Foster and Milwaukee avenues).

IMG_1904.JPG

Back