When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestion?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RaleighRich

Look Ma, No Hands!
It would be extremely helpful to newcomers such as myself to have a sort of glossary of acronyms and abbreviations used in describing vintage bicycles.
If this already exists, please steer me in that direction.
Thanks!

Chain wheel = Sprocket (front), rear = cog
Stem = gooseneck
Fixie = fixed rear hub
TOC = 1895 to 1905
Moto, Motobike = bicycle frame with top tubes in the shape of a fuel tank (like on teen motorcycles)
Seat stay = tube between rear axle and seat tube
Chain stay = tube between axle and (BB)bottom bearing/crank housing
down tube = tubing running between fork tube and bottom bearing
seat mast = seat tube running between seat and bottom bearing

Block chain = a 1" pitch chain (skip chain) with solid metal links between the teeth (short links)
Egg carton rack = a rack that looks as if it could hold large eggs (round or ovalish openings)
Biscuit light = a rather ugly fender lamp(usually) that is sort of wedge shaped, with upper and lower halfs
Butted spokes (not that kind of butt) = a spoke with thicker shank/ends at threaded area and or spoke hole areas
T-Cup lamp = any cupped shape lamp, my be very shallow like a saucer, or deep like a coffee cup

Truss fork = front fork with added rods between axle and top fork stand off. thes run the gambit from a Strong Schwinn double-Duty fork to the Schwinn hollow decorative (mostly) truss rods. (not just Schwinn cycles)

Block chain = a 1" pitch chain (skip chain) with solid metal links between the teeth (short links)
Egg carton rack = a rack that looks as if it could hold large eggs (round or ovalish openings)
Biscuit light = a rather ugly fender lamp(usually) that is sort of wedge shaped, with upper and lower halfs
Butted spokes (not that kind of butt) = a spoke with thicker shank/ends at threaded area and or spoke hole areas
T-Cup lamp = any cupped shape lamp, my be very shallow like a saucer, or deep like a coffee cup

Truss fork = front fork with added rods between axle and top fork stand off. thes run the gambit from a Strong Schwinn double-Duty fork to the Schwinn hollow decorative (mostly) truss rods. (not just Schwinn cycles)

Thanks! Those are all very helpful.

here are some.

:)

I know, it is old school and all.

know your bike.jpg

Back