When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sumner W. Matteson Photography collection Milwaukee Public Museum

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gkeep

I live for the CABE
My coworker sent me a photo from this online collection so I browsed through and found a few interesting bike photos. http://archive.mpm.edu/research-collections/artifacts/sumner-w-matteson-collection/browse-collection.
matteson.jpg

Here is a bit of his story,
Yet in 1895, the year his father died, Matteson broke with family tradition and became the St. Paul agent for the Overman Wheel Company, makers of the popular Victor bicycle.

After only a year of selling Victor bicycles in St. Paul, Matteson moved to Colorado to manage the Overman operation in Denver. Besides selling Victor bicycles, the Denver Branch of the Overman Wheel Company also carried a complete line of Kodak cameras and Kodak supplies. Matteson soon combined the two facets of his business, taking his camera on his bicycle excursions.

By 1899, he was calling himself an "amateur photographer," so when the Overman Wheel Company pulled out of Denver in 1899, Matteson was already embarked on his new career as a "traveling correspondent."

I wonder where his bike ended up, wartime scrap drive? In CABErs collection?
Here are a few bike photos I culled out. Hundreds of great shots but just the occasional bike shot in the collection.
20796.jpg

A breakdown on Yellowstone.
41808.jpg

Note his bike in background. Deer hunt in the southwest.
44403.jpg

Another hunt on the plains. Scored a nice Jackalope after it shed its antlers. Must be near Douglas Wyoming.
43347.jpg
43349.jpg
43468.jpg

The below shot is of some TOC CABErs watching the 4th of July Parade in San Anselmo California.
CA58.jpg

And what could possibly go wrong???
IMG_0181.jpg

Back