When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunbeam bicycle identification

-

Upchuck79

Finally riding a big boys bike
I came into possession of a Sunbeam bicycle frame - I believe I found the wheels also. Need help identifying what I have and how to go about putting all together. Serial # on the left rear dropout is U3847. Any assistance is appreciated, As of now all I have is some assorted parts.

Some photos of the frame and parts may help.
Sunbeam were acquired by BSA in 1943, then both BSA and Sunbeam were acquired by Raleigh in 1957.

Thank you for the assistance. Attached are pictures of the frame and wheels. Apologies for the lighting/pictures. Still searching the barn/garage for any additional parts that could belong to this bicycle. I do not understand why the right side rear has no drop out to match the left side?? Can some one advise what I should be looking to find? any pictures would help. Much obliged as I have inherited a messy, cluttered shop area that has many bits and pieces of old machinery, bikes, cars, et al.

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

It looks like the right hand chain stay unbolts from the frame. Was there some kind of built-in chain guard there? That's a new feature to me!

-----

found some examples from the mid-1930's which exhibit numerous similarities to subject machine but as yet none which express this chain stay arrangement -

example of 1947 with catalogue of 1939 -

mfr. catalogue of 1934 -

mfr. catalogue of 1936 -

---

EDIT:

mystery of missing chain stay now sorted

it is integral with the oil bath chain case(!) :D

-----

Last edited:
The integral oil bath was a neat part, and Sunbeam made some true oil baths (not just chain cases), where the lower portion of the case had an oil reservoir in it, and the chain traveled through the oil. These could sometimes leak, but it still an interesting aspect of the bikes. Hopefully you find all the parts, because they're not easy to locate here in the US.

-----

well known quote in British cycling tradition -

"...just give me a Sunbeam and a star to steer her by..."

-----

-----

found some examples from the mid-1930's which exhibit numerous similarities to subject machine but as yet none which express this chain stay arrangement -

example of 1947 with catalogue of 1939 -

mfr. catalogue of 1934 -

mfr. catalogue of 1936 -

---

EDIT:

mystery of missing chain stay now sorted

it is integral with the oil bath chain case(!) :D

-----
Thanks for looking up that information! There was some fascinating engineering in these bikes!

Back