When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sunset orange varsity

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

blue6218

Look Ma, No Hands!
Good Day Fellow Enthusiasts, can anybody tell me what years Schwinn produced the varsity in sunset orange?

I believe it was just 1973 and 74. That sweet color should have been available for many years.

Gary is correct, it was '73 and '74 only for the Varsity. However Sunset Orange also returned for '77 only on the Sportabout, which was essentially a cheaper version of the Varsity.

Good Day Fellow Enthusiasts, can anybody tell me what years Schwinn produced the varsity in sunset orange?
I purchased this orange '73 from the original owner who rode it only a few times....
IMG_0271_zps9660dd2d-1.jpg

I purchased this orange '73 from the original owner who rode it only a few times....

Just curious how you determined that is a '73? I ask because some of the components (e.g. stem, derailleur) look like they are from '74, but it's hard to tell without closer pics. It certainly looks to be barely ridden!

Metacortex I am curious if Continentals were also made in orange in both 1973 and 1974. I thought when I bought my orange Continental that they were only built orange colored in 1973. I think I got that from the Lightweight Data Book. Roger

I have a sunset sport about that was just gone through new tires etc if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands!

Metacortex I am curious if Continentals were also made in orange in both 1973 and 1974. I thought when I bought my orange Continental that they were only built orange colored in 1973.

You are right, unlike the Varsity the Continental was available in Sunset Orange for '73 only. For '74 Chestnut replaced Sunset Orange on the Continental.

Just curious how you determined that is a '73? I ask because some of the components (e.g. stem, derailleur) look like they are from '74, but it's hard to tell without closer pics. It certainly looks to be barely ridden!

the frame serial number is a late '73, I think you are correct the bike was probably built and sold in '74.

Last edited:
Back