When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suntour New Winner multiple freewheel question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

flyingtaco

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anybody know how to date these? I was told it was from 1984, but it has no identifying marks that would tell me that. Maybe the sticker on the box? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm really surprised that a 1984 freewheel would have the old two slots for removing.

I know zero about them. Are you thinking older than 84? I'm just going by what the guy that sold it to me told me.

Since that has 6 sprockets I'd guess it's an 1980's piece.
The two slot freewheels were used BC and in the 50's and early 60's. In the later 60's and 70's the French and Japan freewheels that Schwinn used (Shimano) had splines for removal. The one you have could be an 80's piece but that just strikes me as odd they were two slot. I think they're outdated like a slot head screw. Maybe the simplicity or a manufacturing cost cutting reason for that? On vintage bikes trying to get the two slot freewheels off a hub where the two pieces have been mated for 60 years is not an easy task.

My Suntour Perfect from 1981 is 2-slot, and I thought they all were. It has 5 sprockets. Suntours have a lot more meat in the notches, and don't strip the slots near as easy as other 2-slot freewheels, but they too can get really stuck.

Back