When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super cool Roadmaster middleweight

-
I was scrolling through the old posts and ran across this one again. Did you ever find the year on this bike? I believe the letter at the beginning of the serial number (on the left drop out) gives the year, "J" for 1959, "K" for 1960, "L" for 1961, etc. That must have been a new fork design for Roadmaster! Killer Kool!

I was lucky enough for terry to sale me the bike and it is a P in the beginning of the vin so i take it its a 1964,thanks for the help oilit

@bicyclebuff, It might be a 1963. I was going by Phil Marshall's chart: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cleveland-welding-s-n-project.2705/page-22
If you look at the sequence, AMF skipped "I", but Phil's chart stops at "N". Schwinn skipped "I" and "O" on their serial numbers, maybe to avoid confusion with "1" and "0". I haven't seen enough bikes to know, but if AMF skipped "0", then "P" would be 1963. In the ads I've seen, that chainguard only shows up in the early '60's, so that sounds about right. And I think they were still using the "Shockmaster" fork until the late '50's, so that fork must have been a fairly new design. I haven't seen too many of that type, so it's interesting. How does it ride?

Wow! I had a AMF with the same reflectorized sprocket, but it wasn't chrome.

Check the tank for a couple of D batteries, they used to put a date code on them.

I don't think AMF had a springer fork in the '60s, that looks like a Murray 'rat trap'. Question is, did someone swap it on, or did AMF buy them from Murray?

I don't think AMF had a springer fork in the '60s, that looks like a Murray 'rat trap'. Question is, did someone swap it on, or did AMF buy them from Murray?
You're right, I checked the "Ultimate Spaceliner Reference" thread and those forks do look like Murray forks, but the "truss rods" (or whatever you would call those) look AMF, and the top plate on the fork looks the same color as the tank and chain guard. Maybe AMF could buy them from Murray cheaper than they could make their own. Curiouser and curiouser.

I was lucky enough for terry to sale me the bike and it is a P in the beginning of the vin so i take it its a 1964,thanks for the help oilit
I just realize that I owe you an apology, you were right and I was confused. "N" was for 1963 so "P" probably was 1964. I must have been blinded by all that chrome!

Back