When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Sport chain slipping

-

BLK80SLT

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've been refurbishing a 72 Super Sport for my brother in law and I've run into a problem with the chain skipping when it's in the small small position. It looks like the chain is on too much of an angle. I tried to show in the pics. It's a new KMC z33 chain. I think he changed the wheel at some point because it's a solid axle. He may not have had the proper spacers and nuts, and I'm not sure what's correct. Maybe a pic of what it looks like when properly set up might help. Thanks guys.

20180728_100653.jpg

20180728_100753.jpg

Here is what I see from the pictures but it may be an illusion since I can't look at the set up straight on in person. The front derailleur cage appears to be bent in at the front and needs to be adjusted so the chain is somewhat centered in the cage. The rear derailleur also looks like it needs to go out further and the cage is not perfectly vertical and inline. It looks somewhat bent outward at the bottom a little but that could be due to the angle of the picture. When a chain wants to jump gears something is going on with the derailleurs and when the chain is offset on the small small, it doesn't take a whole lot of coaxing to before it wants to jump gears.

Cross chaining this much can result in poor gear engagement, increased friction, and wear. Just try to stay out of this gear if possible. Check all your alignments including dropout alignment and derailer hanger alignment if you can.

The dropout spacer is in the correct position, they were installed by Schwinn on the non-drive side only.

Back