When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Survey - Patina or Stripped? Rebuilding wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I plan to sell them, as I don’t have a bike for them. Now, I also have the dilemma to use stainless or galvanized spokes? Stainless are stronger but not original of course.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May I ask why you would bother building the rims up into complete wheels if you simply plan to sell them? Seems to me it's likely whatever selection of spokes or hubs that you choose it won't be quite right for the buyer. Might be better to sell the rims and hubs separately and may actually bring more money that way. Just my thoughts on the subject.

May I ask why you would bother building the rims up into complete wheels if you simply plan to sell them? Seems to me it's likely whatever selection of spokes or hubs that you choose it won't be quite right for the buyer. Might be better to sell the rims and hubs separately and may actually bring more money that way. Just my thoughts on the subject.

I was figuring not everyone built wheels, and I enjoy the process. Your suggestion is good, maybe I will try that first and then build them and hold them for a future project.

I agree & if you really want to go outside the box, I've had good luck w/ grooving metal clads for clinchers, then faux wood finishing them.

@mike j - what did you use to groove them? I have some other 28” which are worse shape I could practice on.

@mike j - what did you use to groove them? I have some other 28” which are worse shape I could practice on.
I use a 4" electric grinder w/ a silicone carbide masonry cup wheel. They are available at Home Depot & most hardware stores for a couple of bucks. Get one that is wide enough for the tire bead to fit. I like them because they're not too aggressive. You are kind of half cutting & half burning the wood. It takes a couple of passes to get deep enough. The metal edge helps guide the grinder & adds strength to the side wall. I've found that Schwalbe 700 tires fit pretty nicely & ride fine. I believe @bikewhorder posted the process originally here & @Wayne Adam helped me w/ the faux finish. Good luck w/ it.

I used a 1/4" diameter core box bit with a simple router table jig. I thought the radius might help preserve some of the strength of the rim. At first I thought I could just rout two groves but it helps to deepen the whole rim so you can put the tire on from one side.
yonico-router-bits-14161q-64_1000.jpg

I tried shortly on a rough one I have, I just wanted to see if I was on the right track? I did try and go along the metal lightly - seems to chew up that wheel pretty good though. I couldn’t find the original post with full instructions or pictures.

92c5e307e959c54a8159e64dd712cf3b.jpg

c59b6f38f69b4f98de1da57ca77f402e.jpg

94ccdd0aa973b37f8aaa30a136c4e4be.jpg

I used a 1/4" diameter core box bit with a simple router table jig. I thought the radius might help preserve some of the strength of the rim. At first I thought I could just rout two groves but it helps to deepen the whole rim so you can put the tire on from one side. View attachment 931880
Do you have any photos of what it looked like after routing, without the tire on? Thanks!

Here's the thread: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/i-made-some-wheel-progress-recently.27120/ The method you're using probably isn't the easiest or most accurate way to do it but it should work.

Thanks for putting the link up. I needed this info for my Hawthorne Flyer. Now I have the option to run a modern tire . I still have a ways to go ,but it started with just the Frame,Forks and Crank. This is my 1st 28" wheel bike . It's a different bike for sure. I dig the larger diameter. They (these bikes) have such a cool look to them . This is the 2nd bike I have "Pieced " together. The 1st bike I pieced together is the one in the second picture. Although some people don't care for this method., I'm having fun and learning a lot. Always had proper bikes before these two. I'm Learning more every day 'bout these 28" ers

IMG_20181223_170856337.jpg

DSCF0679.JPG

I was figuring not everyone built wheels, and I enjoy the process. Your suggestion is good, maybe I will try that first and then build them and hold them for a future project.

Even if you build them , the experience alone you'd get would be valuable, plus the reward factor to boot!
You have to start somewhere to gain experience.....;)
Also, maybe you could find some old spokes to use, to keep that patina look going.....:cool:

Back