When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swap meet competitiveness

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
MLC ...

Years ago ... two yay-hoos got all up in the grill of
an elderly seller and tried to buy a 2-speed cable
shifter ... just the knuckle. part. They kept coming
back to him .. attempting to shame him into selling
it to them at a give-away price.

I had been talking with him (Gene Woolery) .. a dear,
old friend .. who is still missed by many. The two
mouth-breathers returned maybe five minutes later
and started-up again.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the correct
number of Simoleons that would buy the item ... and
paid Gene.

Walked away with the Two-Bluto's in tow.

One approached me with an offer of exactly what I paid.
The other had a far-away, yet encouraging look in his eye.

''Accidently'' dropped the relic thru the grill of a street, storm
drain ... while orchestrating the best ''whoops'' I ever tooted.

..... p.

View attachment 794557View attachment 794557
.......................................... . ..The Two Bluto's
That was the perfect thing to do! Well done, sir.

I used to love going to the swaps. I was always there early, always acted fast but polite. It was a lot of fun, like a sport, really. Found a lot of great stuff and sometimes supplemented my income or paid off bills from it. But it started to change a few years ago. Guys started turning this stuff into a career and began showing up with a truck and trailer from states all over the west coast to small local events. They would get in there the day before and make deals before the event even started, fill up the trailer and leave, hate to stereotype but back to California, usually. It became a lot less fun competing with guys who are putting bread on the table, so I stopped doing it.

Also, I used to price my stuff to sell, fast. I’d shoot for just below market value, someone would get a good deal and I’d make a little scratch. These guys are always pushing the market up as high as possible. Takes all the fun out of it. F that. But whatever...

I could care less who gets there first.When you take the fun out of the hobby then it is time to quit.I go there and BS with friends.Sometimes I buy something but often I dont. If something is meant to be it will happen.Acting the fool doesnt help matters.lolI know I will never have the best collection there is and I dont care.I have seen collections that would put anything on the Cabe look cheap.Dont stress,have fun at the shows.

... ML is only an hour away for me so I went down on Friday morning last year to sell a couple of bikes ... I found a good spot to park on the side of the road right next to the swap lot and opened the hatch on my van ... Had a local Ohio Caber waiting for me as I unloaded the first bike ... We made a deal for both bikes before I had the second one unloaded ...
... He had them resold in ten minutes to the twins ... and made better money on them than I did selling them to him ... I patted him on the back and said "good deal" ... I was happy and obviously so was he! ...
... I had a great time the rest of the morning making new friends and talking with some old ones ... bought a few smalls .. then later left for home with a smile on my face ...
... Planning on going Friday morning again this week ... ;)

I remember going to one of my first swaps years ago and opening up the van and within 10 minutes had a little over $3K from stuff I had collected over the years, but really had no use for. It does get a little annoying when people are “helping” you unload your vehicle because you’re trying to sort stuff out and watch them at the same time. It’s a game, I only have one or two swaps in me a year then I’m good until next year. Don’t let the little stuff bother you, if you don’t get something other stuff comes along. I just try to enjoy the bikes and meeting new people and seeing old friends you only see once a year.

I plan to go to ML Friday morning and will be at AA Sunday. I know, I'll be late to ML. It's a hobby, not my job. I've been lucky in that I've not had any problems. I am polite, and hate to see people being rude. I've learned you can't hesitate if you see something you want, but I'd never interupt a deal. I go for the fun of seeing the people I've met and seeing the bikes. If I find a bike I can afford, great! I've had good luck at the end of the day when people don't want to load a bike up. Some years I just buy parts. I have had good success selling bikes that I have brought.

I plan to go to ML Friday morning and will be at AA Sunday. I know, I'll be late to ML. It's a hobby, not my job. I've been lucky in that I've not had any problems. I am polite, and hate to see people being rude. I've learned you can't hesitate if you see something you want, but I'd never interupt a deal. I go for the fun of seeing the people I've met and seeing the bikes. If I find a bike I can afford, great! I've had good luck at the end of the day when people don't want to load a bike up. Some years I just buy parts. I have had good success selling bikes that I have brought.

Good form !!

..... patric

I was at a swap when the late Eddie Boros [Mr. Ed] comes up to me and says,"Dave, I need some muscle,come with me, this guy owes me three grand and aint payin'. Eddie didn't get his money. He settled for one bike the fellow had, maybe worth about 3-400 bucks. That kind of stuff happens.
There are people that are unreasonable in their expectations as buyers and are rude. As a seller you have to put on your thick skin to deal with these folks. As a buyer, if you are a hobbyist, you can't be meek. There are a few people out there, that if they were animals in the next life, it would be a weasel.
Sometimes it takes the fun out of it for you, but try not to let it get to you........at least you have friends....they don't.

Last edited:
Back