When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swap Meet Score: 1983 Ross Diamond Cruiser

-

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Made my first foray into the vintage mountain bike realm today, picking up this (I believe) 1983 Ross Diamond Cruiser at the Turlock, CA Swap Meet. Wasn’t planning on buying this— I had gone to the swap meet looking for a Schwinn middleweight frame for a new project— but the price was too good to pass up. It’s in really good condition, with only a bit of rust on the rims, and it should clean up nicely. I only know a little bit about Ross, but maybe others here can help fill in the blanks.

C785C581-6507-466A-AD20-9AAB5EB33032.jpeg

B3B8C107-7201-47E1-AFD1-28F7638112AB.jpeg

D9F5CB7B-6A1A-4308-9957-F8F594CD3FD6.jpeg

9A1B1474-9EBB-4EBD-B4E8-180232FD127A.jpeg

1033CCBE-5966-4863-A583-2B62CEABE50F.jpeg

It’s TALL bike. The seating position is completely foreign to me, feels like I’m standing up. My plan had been to give this to my wife to ride, but I know now it won’t fit her. May turn around and sell it, we’ll see.

They are gorgeous bikes and I had interest for what it’s worth but need a smaller frame. They have a vintage look with nice lines.
Growing up in the 70s Apollo Ross bikes were sold at bike shops or specialty sports stores not chains.

@kostnerave I notice that your bike is stamped 'Chain Bike Corp' on the left dropout, whereas mine is stamped 'Ross'-- anyone know the difference?
From the little bit of research I did it states that in May of 1982, Randy Ross took control of the company. At that time, they renamed the the company Ross and dropped the Chain Bike Corporation name. Since my bike was made early in '82 it probably was one of the last to be stamped with the Chain Bike Corporation name. This also might explain why my bike is appointed with more cruiser elements than the o.p. bike. Unfortunately, manufacturing was moved overseas shortly afterward and the company went bankrupt in 1989. Randy Ross is currently trying to resurrect the Ross name along with his W.A.R bicycle brand.

This one must be later. Mt. Whitney model.
My son found this one last year and rode it awhile but it's in the shed now.

Somehow a bell is ringing in my memory.
I think I've seen Ross badges with CCM on them.
(Canadian Cycle Manufacturing)
I thought they sold to them.

Back