• Please take a moment to read the new post TRADING SAFETY. It contains important information for those who use the classified ads for buying and selling.

Swapping the innards of a ND double DD 2 speed into a regular ND- D hub

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Hello Cabers,

I really despise working on inner rear hubs because I'm not very logical or skilled after almost 40 years of playing with these bikes. I do most of my own work, but it's comical at times, and the reward is worth it...but...... I will put something upside down, and backwards 3-4 times before I get it right. New Departure hubs are tricky for me getting the shims/discs lined up ( I know there is a tool for that) and several other issues. Done more than I care to remember, did a Musselman last Spring ( WAY easier than N/D) BUT my question is:

Can I just take the brake arm side off/ thread axle out from drive end and pull the ND- DD 2 -speed innards out complete/ then slip into a single D empty hub? I will need step by step, as I said, I'm not logical. I have 2 complete wheels/hubs with ND- D's and was hoping to not have to get ( would have to pull the DD innards out anyway) a rim laced /which I will no longer attempt/lame at that process on my own.

I hope I'm clear here. Have a DD -2 speed hub and gear I wanna put on a bike without getting a wheel laced as I have 2 wheels with ND-D hubs in my stash. Help me make this easy. Thanks...Bob

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

catfish

Riding an Alexander Rocket Bike
New Departure model D hubs are the easiest hubs to work on ( IMO). I change them into two speeds all the time. The only tricky thing is fine tuning them. But the instructions above show how to do it. Just take your time.

Also make sure you don't over tighten the actuator knuckle. It is real easy to strip out the threads inside of it.

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
You almost have it.

The small set nut needs to go against the knuckle to keep it from moving.

View attachment 1311716

I've always questioned this nut. What's the point? The actuator can't loosen or tighten when the cable is attached.

I just spin the actuator on until there is the slightest bit of resistance, then back off until in position to connect cable. I have it this way on 10 bikes.