When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping the innards of a ND double DD 2 speed into a regular ND- D hub

-

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hello Cabers,

I really despise working on inner rear hubs because I'm not very logical or skilled after almost 40 years of playing with these bikes. I do most of my own work, but it's comical at times, and the reward is worth it...but...... I will put something upside down, and backwards 3-4 times before I get it right. New Departure hubs are tricky for me getting the shims/discs lined up ( I know there is a tool for that) and several other issues. Done more than I care to remember, did a Musselman last Spring ( WAY easier than N/D) BUT my question is:

Can I just take the brake arm side off/ thread axle out from drive end and pull the ND- DD 2 -speed innards out complete/ then slip into a single D empty hub? I will need step by step, as I said, I'm not logical. I have 2 complete wheels/hubs with ND- D's and was hoping to not have to get ( would have to pull the DD innards out anyway) a rim laced /which I will no longer attempt/lame at that process on my own.

I hope I'm clear here. Have a DD -2 speed hub and gear I wanna put on a bike without getting a wheel laced as I have 2 wheels with ND-D hubs in my stash. Help me make this easy. Thanks...Bob

New Departure model D hubs are the easiest hubs to work on ( IMO). I change them into two speeds all the time. The only tricky thing is fine tuning them. But the instructions above show how to do it. Just take your time.

Also make sure you don't over tighten the actuator knuckle. It is real easy to strip out the threads inside of it.

Back