When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swift Ladies'? Gent's?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG
The plot thickens and the game is afoot! Follow the money (nickel). Upon closer inspection, it appears to have nickel hubs also, not with the luster of the bars, but still nickel. The front says Phillips, the rear Perry.
The painted brake stirrups say Phillips. They are flat and straplike, without any airfoil shape like I've seen on Raleighs. Wingspan of the handlebars is 19" which matches my Gent's DL1. Lastly, the gearing ratio works out to a 72" effective wheel, and the cranks are 6-1/2" HMMMMM!!!

I don't know if you are aware that there is a "Swift" club over here.
Catering for both cars and cycles.....

www.theswiftclub.co.uk

They have a register of cycles and you may find more help there.
Incidentally, the Coventry factory went bust around 1931; two years later the rights to the name were sold and production started in Birmingham, they were still manufacturing in the 1960's.

But wait! There's more. As Sheldon says in his Bible, it's all about the ISO.
Here we have "Standard" British Roadster Tyres.
IMG_0923.JPG

See? 28X1-1/2.
IMG_0924.JPG
28 x 1 1/2 635 mm English, Dutch, Chinese, Indian Rod-brake roadsters
(Also marked F10, F25, 700 B)

If the tyre says Canadian Size, you can bet it's in reference and respect to the Queen, right?
IMG_0922.JPG

NOPE! It's an F.13, and we all know what that means, "F'n unlucky!

622 mm (F.13) Rare Canadian designation
28 x 1 5/8 x
1 1/4 Northern European designation for the 622 mm (700 C) size

See, it says it right there, Jointless 28X1-3/4 F.13
IMG_0918.JPG

PALMER MADE IN ENGLAND
IMG_0917.JPG

It wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that the other wheel is an honest to goodness, non-Canadian, 28X1-1/2(635) British Roadster rim and tyre. I'm in luck though. Schwalbe make a matching pair of 622/635 tires. Two in fact. The Delta and The Marathon.

But wait! There's more. As Sheldon says in his Bible, it's all about the ISO.
Here we have "Standard" British Roadster Tyres. View attachment 804165
See? 28X1-1/2. View attachment 804166 28 x 1 1/2 635 mm English, Dutch, Chinese, Indian Rod-brake roadsters
(Also marked F10, F25, 700 B)

If the tyre says Canadian Size, you can bet it's in reference and respect to the Queen, right?
View attachment 804163
NOPE! It's an F.13, and we all know what that means, "F'n unlucky!

622 mm (F.13) Rare Canadian designation
28 x 1 5/8 x
1 1/4 Northern European designation for the 622 mm (700 C) size

See, it says it right there, Jointless 28X1-3/4 F.13
View attachment 804162
PALMER MADE IN ENGLAND
View attachment 804161
It wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that the other wheel is an honest to goodness, non-Canadian, 28X1-1/2(635) British Roadster rim and tyre. I'm in luck though. Schwalbe make a matching pair of 622/635 tires. Two in fact. The Delta and The Marathon.

Do it . I want to see this baby on the Road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Which rim has the Phillips hub?
The Phillips Hub is the front, 32 spokes. The chrome is fairly beaten up, or shall I say, beat-down. Years of rod brake friction have rubbed a lot of it away. 635.
The 36 hole rear Perry is a clean rim. 622.
Part of me is thinking of finding a couple cleanish 635 rims, something with some patina. That would allow me more than just a couple of tyre choices.

Back