When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swing Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wave1960

Finally riding a big boys bike
Have a few tweeks to complete it. A garage sale 20.00 find......oh yea, then another few hundred. Thank You to those who helped! Never was a muscle bike guy......a Peapicker restro was all it took I guess. Now a Swing Bike and I guess my first bike, a Monkey Wards Stingray knock off, needs some respect now. It is 43 yrs old.

20150201_154747_resized_zps7fdfc669-1.jpg

Last edited:
No such thing as a stingray "knock off", 1962 Huffy made the first production muscle bike, called a "Penguin". Then in 1963 "every" bicycle company made a Muscle Bike including schwinn.
They all used the same Bars, seat, tires and sissy bar.

drane1, Thank you for the info. Interested to see a Penguin now. Always learning something new. I think for me in 1970, a Krate or Stingray was the ultimate. I got the lower priced version due frugal parents who maybe didn't get how cool that 5 speed stick shift really was.

I think the name Penguin pretty much doomed the bike.Why would any boy want a Penguin when there are bikes called Sting Rays,etc.

I think the name Penguin pretty much doomed the bike.Why would any boy want a Penguin when there are bikes called Sting Rays,etc.

Based on the article and interview, it sounds like it was much more than just the name that doomed the Penguin.

Back