Swinn bicycle 1955 Black Phantom

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

oskisan

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 31, 2006
Dublin, United States
kenskorner.org
I have seen the 1995 reissue black phantom sell for more money the an original real deal phantom. I am not sure why, but it has happened on several occasions.

phantom

I live for the CABE
Nov 14, 2010
MI
I have seen the 1995 reissue black phantom sell for more money the an original real deal phantom. I am not sure why, but it has happened on several occasions.
A lot of boomers want to ride a shiney Phantom. They don't want the expense of a restoration or not even sure how to go about one. They don't mind spending up to $1,500 for a repro vs buying an original for $700 + that really needs everything redone. Whether it's a 55 or 95 could mean nothing to them. Frankly to the non purist the only difference I see in them is a 36 year span. Why do you think so many get parted out? Sure, you can have an original 49-59 frame and load it with repro parts. A little hypocritical to me but I don't begrudge anyone on how they want to spend their money.

oskisan

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 31, 2006
Dublin, United States
kenskorner.org
I thought the reissue phantoms were bringing in around $2k... I could be wrong about that number though as I havent bought another phantom in over 25 years, especially after they repopped them and a lot of us guys lost a lot of money on orig phantom and krate parts.

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
I have no expertise here -- what tips you off so easily?

o_O
Old style fork pre-55 is used in 95 repo and all the chromed parts appear repo quality. Yet every thing's new is the 1st clue.
The cincher on a 95 black phantom is; the frame is embossed. The bottom bracket, under bike, serial numbers and embossed 1895-1995.

BTW,

<<<<< That's a 55

Last edited:
Reactions: Marine Electric

Marine Electric

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Sep 22, 2019
NY/NJ
Old style fork pre-55 is used in 95 repo and all the chromed parts appear repo quality. Yet every thing's new is the 1st clue.
The cincher on a 95 black phantom is; the frame is embossed. The bottom bracket, under bike, serial numbers and embossed 1895-1995.

BTW,

<<<<< That's a 55

Thanks for sharing your expertise. Here's another one I'm looking at - what say you about this one?

s-l1600.jpg

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

phantom

I live for the CABE
Nov 14, 2010
MI
That is a super looking 59. One of the nicest I have seen in a while. Can you PM re: that bike if you don't go for it?

WES PINCHOT

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aug 16, 2006
CHICAGO AREA
YES, MAYBE STURMEY ARCHER 3 SPEED!
I HAVE SEEN ONE ON AN ORIGINAL DEALER BIKE BACK IN THE DAY '49-'55+.

Kickstand3

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 16, 2014
Grapevine Tx
YES, MAYBE STURMEY ARCHER 3 SPEED!
I HAVE SEEN ONE ON AN ORIGINAL DEALER BIKE BACK IN THE DAY '49-'55+.
It came on the bike, I bought this bike over 15yrs ago in Central Texas, this old guy took it in for service every year since new kept it in his living room. It still lives inside.As for the 2 speed the only thing I have seen for dating the twin steak is advertising ads here on the Cabe . I really like the way it performs so I left it on . The seat is amazing never seen a better one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
Reactions: Marine Electric
This ad goes away when you register for an account!