When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swinn bicycle 1955 Black Phantom

-

Marine Electric

Look Ma, No Hands!
This belong to anyone here? I've tried to contact the seller via eBay a few times to get additional pics and info but got no response. If it's the real deal, I'm interested -- and I'm local. But something seems screwy here....I just don't know what it is?

Swinn(sic) bicycle 1955 Black Phantom
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=323284015961

s-l1600.jpg

I have seen the 1995 reissue black phantom sell for more money the an original real deal phantom. I am not sure why, but it has happened on several occasions.

I have seen the 1995 reissue black phantom sell for more money the an original real deal phantom. I am not sure why, but it has happened on several occasions.
A lot of boomers want to ride a shiney Phantom. They don't want the expense of a restoration or not even sure how to go about one. They don't mind spending up to $1,500 for a repro vs buying an original for $700 + that really needs everything redone. Whether it's a 55 or 95 could mean nothing to them. Frankly to the non purist the only difference I see in them is a 36 year span. Why do you think so many get parted out? Sure, you can have an original 49-59 frame and load it with repro parts. A little hypocritical to me but I don't begrudge anyone on how they want to spend their money.

I thought the reissue phantoms were bringing in around $2k... I could be wrong about that number though as I havent bought another phantom in over 25 years, especially after they repopped them and a lot of us guys lost a lot of money on orig phantom and krate parts.

I have no expertise here -- what tips you off so easily?

o_O
Old style fork pre-55 is used in 95 repo and all the chromed parts appear repo quality. Yet every thing's new is the 1st clue.
The cincher on a 95 black phantom is; the frame is embossed. The bottom bracket, under bike, serial numbers and embossed 1895-1995.

BTW,

<<<<< That's a 55

Last edited:
Old style fork pre-55 is used in 95 repo and all the chromed parts appear repo quality. Yet every thing's new is the 1st clue.
The cincher on a 95 black phantom is; the frame is embossed. The bottom bracket, under bike, serial numbers and embossed 1895-1995.

BTW,

<<<<< That's a 55

Thanks for sharing your expertise. Here's another one I'm looking at - what say you about this one?

s-l1600.jpg

Back