When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

T. Fane & Co The Comet Toronto-badge - age & value

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Black Cat

On Training Wheels
Looking for information on the age and value for this badge.
It is non-magnetic and I think brass. The remaining tab has part of a factory hole at the end. 1 7/16" tall and estimated at 2 1/2 wide on the crest.
There is a drawing of a 1887 highwheeler and it says This brassplated Highwheeler ... may this be off of a Highwheeler?
IMG_5886.jpg
IMG_5887.jpg

First post, thanks for your input!

Hi Glenn,

Your bikewas made at 24 Adelaide St. West in downtown Toronto. This space is now a glass tower in the heart of the financial district. I have a c.1898 McBurney-Beattie made in the same factory.

T. Fane & Co. changed their name to Comet Cycle Co. In the early '90s, then in 1894-95 they built a new 5-story factory immediately behind their 24 Adelaide St. building, at 17-19-21 Temperance St. After the move, they used their old bldg for storage. When competition heated up during the boom they advertised 24 Adelaide for lease. The building was then leased by men who started the McBurney-Beattie brand bikes. In 1899, Comet went bankrupt and M-B was sold. So ironically, Comet was the landlord for another bike company that helped put them out of business.

I love your bike Glenn, it's beautiful. I mean no offence, but without any markings or badge, how do you know it's a Comet? Bikes had similar construction and appearance.
-Brian

Black Cat, sorry, I don't know the value of your badge. Maybe one of the badge collectors can help. It's very old, but also broken. When I've bought badges for my frames, around $100 is the usual price.

Hi Glenn,

Your bikewas made at 24 Adelaide St. West in downtown Toronto. This space is now a glass tower in the heart of the financial district. I have a c.1898 McBurney-Beattie made in the same factory.

T. Fane & Co. changed their name to Comet Cycle Co. In the early '90s, then in 1894-95 they built a new 5-story factory immediately behind their 24 Adelaide St. building, at 17-19-21 Temperance St. After the move, they used their old bldg for storage. When competition heated up during the boom they advertised 24 Adelaide for lease. The building was then leased by men who started the McBurney-Beattie brand bikes. In 1899, Comet went bankrupt and M-B was sold. So ironically, Comet was the landlord for another bike company that helped put them out of business.

I love your bike Glenn, it's beautiful. I mean no offence, but without any markings or badge, how do you know it's a Comet? Bikes had similar construction and appearance.
-Brian
Hello Brian,
Thanks for the info on T, Fane & Co. and Comet.
Absent of positive I.D, you are correct ,there is no way to be certain that my bike is a Comet . In my original post I had attempted to pose the I.D. more as a question. I am uncertain.
The "rational" as a model was short lived {approx.1888-'92} and arrived at the end of the time of ordinary bicycle. The larger rear wheel, 22 inches, was thought to give a header prone bike more stability. Rational's are uncommon.
A friend shared the page from the Comet catalog and we thought that bikes looked similar . I'd like to know the serial # of the Fane Comet Ordinary posted by Barracuda. I wonder how many Comet high bikes were produced ?
Thanks again
Glenn

Back