When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ta Crank Torque (?)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

drglinski

Finally riding a big boys bike
While doing a shakedown ride on the Sports Tourer that I've been restoring....after two miles the left side crank arm came off. I guess I didn't get it tight enough when I put it back on. How tight should the bolt be? It's currently between snug and red faced grunt tight. I know these are aluminum cranks and I'm concerned about over tightening them and destroying something. Are there any torque ratings on these bolts?

Thanks

While doing a shakedown ride on the Sports Tourer that I've been restoring....after two miles the left side crank arm came off. I guess I didn't get it tight enough when I put it back on. How tight should the bolt be? It's currently between snug and red faced grunt tight. I know these are aluminum cranks and I'm concerned about over tightening them and destroying something. Are there any torque ratings on these bolts?

Thanks
Good question, i was riding my chrome SLT the other day and noticed a click in the BB...turns out one crank arm was a little loose. Something ill be double checking from now on when I do the final once over on my builds.

Install the crank, and remove bolt/nut. If the arm is flush to the spindle life life of you crank could almost be over. Alloy is way softer than the hardened steel spindle and some crank arms just get worn out. Over tightening time and time again can cause this. Also riding a loose crank arm is a really good way to cause fast excessive wear. Its best to just stop riding as soon as your cranks starts to loosen.

I like to use a light film of grease on the tapers and bolt threads. Makes the install easier and helps prevent creaking later on.

As previously mentioned, its a good idea to periodically check to make sure your crank bolts are tight if you put allot of miles on your bike.

As always, Sheldon Browns got you covered!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Back