When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take it back to original paint?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Boris

Old fat tired rider
About 15 years ago, this '40 CW Western Flyer was the first bike that picked this up when I got back into collecting after about a 20 year hiatus. I always liked the army green, because I figured the girl who owned it had it painted this way during the war. Yes, I know there is that history, and if the wheels were painted to match at the same time, I'd probably leave it green, But they weren't. Long story short, curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I do know the original paint is probably not the greatest, but I'm thinking that I would like to bring it back as best I can. Also, there was no chainguard when I purchased the bike and I do have one that is the same color as the original blue.

What are your thoughts on removing the green that was probably done during the war?

IMG_4758.JPG

Last edited:
Removing the paint and repainting is going to cost more in time, money and effort than it is worth to do. It is your bike and you will need to decide if you want to do it or not. If it was me I wouldn't have bought the bike in the first place. The reason is any girls bike that has passed through my hands as ended up being a money pit. Roger

She may have just liked grasshoppers, frogs, or lime sherbet. Or maybe dad was a cheapskate and the paint was on sale. My vote is take it off.

I have never been successful in removing house paint. If that green has been there for 70 years, I do not think it will come off and leave the old paint behind. I would leave it alone.

I do understand the sentiment behind it though. It was the first of many bikes. I was there. Sold my first classic, in basket case condition, to a trucker about four years ago.

A repaint is a repaint. It does not matter what era it was done or speculating that it was a "war time" tribute. If the paint seems to be coming off easily, then go for it. You never know. A nice layer of original paint might be underneath.

All good points, and I know the final decision rests with me, but I made up a story based on the attempt to blackout some parts which led me to think that it was a wartime tribute effort. I've done my fair share of paint removals with no remorse, but this one makes me stop and think twice.
I guess the bigger question is, do you believe there is any merit in leaving a repaint for the sole purpose of preserving that particular bikes history? Posted here because it could be a good topic for discussion.

Last edited:
Dave removing the paint is costly and time consuming. I’m looking at the whole picture. To I ask my self what will I get out of it. Will it increase the monetary value. After all that’s the underlying elements of this in the future. I say no. So I’d keep it and use it. It’s worth more as a rider than putting money time and energy in it.

I get the feeling that you want to repaint it. If that is what you're gut feeling is do it. It's your bike now. If there was a good story behind the green paint that might change things but do what you want.

Back