When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take it off any sweet jumps ?

-
Yes!

21231772_10209196876711553_4588642661155725466_n.jpg

Nice pics. As a kid I had a black Schwinn tornado that was ridden like a BMX bike.

Similar to this, but without all the yellow accessories. It was probably handed down from a relative. (lol, look at the listed weight for that tiny little bike.) I couldn't imagine jumping a bike 1/2 my weight today.
1980_schwinn_tornado.jpg

I can't remember the day I got it, it was just one of those things that was just always around. I can remember ridding out to one of the local farm fields nearly every day where the local neighborhood kids sort of set up a bmx track somewhere around the perimeter of the farm. A few years latter the construction of a interstate ran ran right down the center of that field giving all of us more opportunities to launch off of things. I later got another BMX bike at a garage sale, and the Schwinn went to my brother. Then around 6th grade I got a mortised dirt bike, and used to bring that to the same trails.

I don't think my parents ever realized what we were doing with the bikes, and we didn't tell them. My mother probably wouldn't have been too happy watching us jump and crash. Whenever we broke a part we would get scolded for not being careful, and any cuts or bruises would also be hidden. Back then young kids were free to wander around and explore there surroundings, and usually out of the house until they eventually came home to eat something.

I wish I had more pictures from those days, but back then carrying around cameras was not as common, and the photos I do have are either from holidays or family vacations.

Last edited:
Nice pics. As a kid I had a black Schwinn tornado that was ridden like a BMX bike.

Similar to this, but without all the yellow accessories. It was probably handed down from a relative. (lol, look at the listed weight for that tiny little bike.) I couldn't imagine jumping a bike 1/2 my weight today.
View attachment 670990

I can't remember the day I got it, it was just one of those things that was just always around. I can remember ridding out to one of the local farm fields nearly every day where the local neighborhood kids sort of set up a bmx track somewhere around the perimeter of the farm. A few years latter the construction of a interstate ran ran right down the center of that field giving all of us more opportunities to launch off of things. I later got another BMX bike at a garage sale, and the Schwinn went to my brother. Then around 6th grade I got a mortised dirt bike, and used to bring that to the same trails.

I don't think my parents ever realized what we were doing with the bikes, and we didn't tell them. My mother probably wouldn't have been too happy watching us jump and crash. Whenever we broke a part we would get scolded for not being careful, and any cuts or bruises would also be hidden. Back then young kids were free to wander around and explore there surroundings, and usually out of the house until they eventually came home to eat something.

I wish I had more pictures from those days, but back then carrying around cameras was not as common, and the photos I do have are either from holidays or family vacations.
yeah I remember building a knockoff Stingray to look just like it. had to go to Kmart and get the crossbars and pad kit, and dump the banana seat and sissy bar and get a 10 speed springer seat. And yes you could be out building jumps and exploring all day without mom and dad stressing. Just had to be home 5 minutes after the streetlights came on.

I should have started this thread in General discussion about old bikes. Just love seeing the old moto x pics that we all have in old shoebox in the closet ! Keep em coming !

Started this thread a while back. got to be some new members with jump pictures to share. !!!!!!!!!!

when I was a kid pre motocross we all had Schwinn Stingrays with 10 speed seats, knobbies front and rear and shorter handlebars. everyone had these odd rubber "BMX" grips.

that was back in the day when my hometown of Fremont Ca still had empty fields where we could ride. I can remember doing jumps at the school where we would jump across the cement walkway between the buildings. one thing we never thought about was that it had a roof over it. we could have smacked our heads on it and been seriously killed.

good times.

Back