When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Schwinn out of mothballs.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ski1

Look Ma, No Hands!
I’ve had this old Schwinn for several years and finally decided to do something with it. It’s original paint but a 25 footer at best. I plan to just clean it up and put some wax on it along with greasing everything and straightening out the fenders. I’ll also recover the seat, get some grips and any other missing parts like the tail reflector. I think the bike is somewhere in the 39-42 time frame. Any help in pinpointing the year would be appreciated. I’d also like to find out what the correct nomenclature for the frame style, (straight BAR?) wheel style, what type of tank would fit, etc. in case I run across any replacement parts that are in better condition. Mostly I plan on just keeping it as is and taking it to the beach once in a while.
ski

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

I believe it’s a ‘48 straight bar made in September of that year. I looked it up on the web. Not any sort of expert, but hope this may help. I’m sure it’s going to look great after you do you magic in cleaning it up.

This is a pre-war Schwinn as evidenced by the chain adjusting bolts . I think that is a 1940 serial no. but we'll see what others have to say. Real nice bike you have there! Look for the date code on the Morrow hub shell.

Johnboy,

Thanks for weighing in.......I don’t know why I overlooked the chain adjusters!

Ski1- sorry for the misinformation.

It's easy to overlook something when viewing a bike---- I do it lots of times ! I really enjoy the CABE forums and all who participate.

This is a pre-war Schwinn as evidenced by the chain adjusting bolts . I think that is a 1940 serial no. but we'll see what others have to say. Real nice bike you have there! Look for the date code on the Morrow hub shell.

Thanks johnboy. here's some pics of the hub. It says:

ECLIPSE MACHINE DIVISION
MADE IN ELMIRA, N.Y. U.S.A.
J 3 36 13

20.jpg

21.jpg

Back