When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Schwinn out of mothballs.

-
shootin' from the hip-i'd put earnest money on 1940 as evidenced by the dished sprocket the sliding rail seat and the small wing chainguard. seat clamp and rearmost fender brace also figure in the mix. 'b'' series frame. if I am seeing the morrow hub date right as you noted=1940. when you get the crank out-it may hold a secret(date of manufacture) also. bike looks totally untouched-everything seems original/correct(even has its springer bumper on the down tube!). 'pbl 1942' license=Pasadena? please preserve-don't repaint! cool ride for sure-you'll be styling at the beach!

Last edited:
Based on similar serial numbers, it is indeed a '40... and a NICE one too!
Love it!!
REC

shootin' from the hip-i'd put earnest money on 1940 as evidenced by the dished sprocket the sliding rail seat and the small wing chainguard. seat clamp and rearmost fender brace also figure in the mix. 'b'' series frame. if I am seeing the morrow hub date right as you noted=1940. when you get the crank out-it may hold a secret(date of manufacture) also. bike looks totally untouched-everything seems original/correct(even has its springer bumper on the down tube!). 'pbl 1942' license=Pasadena? please preserve-don't repaint! cool ride for sure-you'll be styling at the beach!

Thanks, I never noticed the seat rail. I'm guessing I can slide that seat back a bit to give more leg room? I was wondering about the plate too. I was thinking maybe Pomona but couldn't find a listing on the web. I'll have to ask my buddy exactly where it came from. I won't paint it even though it looks pretty crusty in person. When it's cleaned up the missing paint will show more. I just want to stabilize it.

ski

Any thoughts on this stand as far as original or added later?

22.jpg

looks original to me-seen plenty of prewar Schwinn's with them. slightly curved version-like this-found on the deluxe version bikes. there is a more common version of this with a straight leg. no doubt original to bike.

Here’s some pics of my progress so far. I reviewed all the posts concerning rust removal and decided to go with what I had on hand and have been using for auto maintenance and restoration over the years. It’s basically phosphoric acid. I dilute it three parts water to one part phosphoric as a starting point. I adjust as necessary depending on the degree of corrosion. I don’t follow the directions on the label because I don’t want the heavy rust to turn into a hard, black shell. I let the part soak totally submerged and brush the neutralized rust away with a soft brush every hour or so. If I take the part out because I can’t watch it all day I thoroughly rinse, wash with soap, and rinse again then completely dry it until the next session. I found doing it this way leaves you with clean bare metal where the rust was and not a black finish or hard shell of encapsulated rust. I have also found that this mixture has not affected most well painted surfaces. On smaller heavily corroded parts I used a stronger mixture but it should be watched closely. Anyway, here’s the pics.

First the seat. It will need another bath.
11.jpg

23a.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

30.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Back