When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Schwinn out of mothballs.

-
stem

i.jpg

j.jpg

k.jpg

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

Now the problem becomes what to do to keep stuff from rusting again. I can see why some folks clear the parts but I'm not going to do that. car wax may protect some parts but that seat and chain guard I'll have to coat with some type of preservative and wipe it down frequently. I used to used a product called Break-Free or CLP to keep my helicopter from corroding out from under me in the Navy. Not the intended use but it worked well and stayed put. I may have to get another chain guard for everyday use.

nice work ski! better living through chemistry! in the last 30 years the chemicals available for the restorer are fantastic-save time and preserve the parts better. 30 years ago all we had was Jasco paint remover and sandpaper! and when you got fed up-you sandblasted the parts. your hard work is paying off-so far so good. can't wait to see what you can do with the painted parts!

I forgot about this stuff. My brother turned me on to this product a couple years ago. I use it for protecting the underside of cars and other corrosion prone areas on anything metal. I think it will be better than Break- Free and it is just as easily removable. I'm going to rub it on the underside of the seat and see how it goes.

41.jpg

42.jpg

my favorite rust remover is muratic acid-pool stuff-very nasty-cleans rust away in minutes-then neutralize with soap-rinse. but have to use caution when using-vapors are strong-burns the skin. still haven't figured what to use on surface rusty painted stuff without destroying the paint. the oxy bath supposedly does just that. hummmmm…...

Back