When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk about patina

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
$200, really? 100% junk. I'll be generous. $20 for yard art.
Stick around and watch this space as I make the %100 junk do 100's of miles on the road and give me 100's of smiles. This is just even more motivation for me to put this beauty back on the road.

When its done Im gonna take it to bike shows and set it up near all the shiny restored bikes with a turntable and spotlights.

Not running you down, Chris. It's that thinking back, I've had at least five 1941 Schwinns, all with springers. None were restored and when I parted with them they were cheap and ridable. I hope you didn't pay full asking price for that bike. Have some fun with it.

Not running you down, Chris. It's that thinking back, I've had at least five 1941 Schwinns, all with springers. None were restored and when I parted with them they were cheap and ridable. I hope you didn't pay full asking price for that bike. Have some fun with it.
I wont regret what I do because Im not doing it to save a 41 Schwinn, Im doing it to save THIS 41 Schwinn specifically. By the time its all said and done with shipping and everything I will most likely be paying a tad more for it but it will be saved and will live out its life with me as long as Im alive.
Im a bit of a hippy its true but sometimes a bike triggers something in me and it becomes a mission for me to save it.
Money goes away....old bikes are forever.

It's getting crazy out there. I'm no longer into bikes, so the prices things are going for just amaze me. I told a friend of mine, that's not into bikes, but sometimes comes across them, to post a picture of a bike he picked up from a Chicago basement clean-out guy, back in February, I think it was. This bike was a complete turd, but I was very liberal in my assessment of it, and told him, as bad as it looks, it's a rare one. Don't take less than $1000. He sold it in a day. 1939 Monark. . . $4000.00 Jeeeez!
Speaking of Schwinns with Patina, does anyone remember the Schwinn Phantom that Memory Lane had displayed in their entryway to their store? It had been 2/3's buried in the ground for many years. The bottom 1/3 rotted clean off. Funny thing, my neighbor came over Monday. He's retired like me. He got wind of some big old building packed with old Chevy speed parts. The owner, about 90, passed away, and his kids want the building emptied. Said he counted 25 very old Schwinns plus a sh*tload of Whizzers, old pedal cars, lots of Whizzer parts, motor cycles, scooters and on and on. He took pictures and was supposed to send them to me, guess I'll have to go over to his house today and remind him. I'm curious, but I told him I've saddled myself with enough junk of my own, and have no ambition to seek more. My point is, there's so much "good stuff" out there still stashed away, rotting in an old pole barn or shed. That's the stuff that should be saved. I told my neighbor to contact the people. Tell them about the CABE. Post pictures of the bikes, stating they know nothing about bikes. And, like so many heirs to Dad's hoard has done in the past, dispose of his treasure, right here on the CABE. I look forward to seeing the stuff posted here. Anyway, whether it's a turd, or polished gold, have fun , life is short. By the way, my daughter had a baby this morning. Baby girl. Gave birth at home, no problems.

Update: Just went over to the neighbor's house. He's like me and could not get the photos on his phone to go to my computer. [sounds like me, computer incompetent ] Anyway, I saw the pictures and everything is pretty well jammed up. I did see lots of newer stuff. Looks like about a 150 bikes, and he says at least 25 are classic old Schwinns. He was back over there today and told the sons about the CABE. We'll see if they contact us.

Last edited:
It's getting crazy out there. I'm no longer into bikes, so the prices things are going for just amaze me. I told a friend of mine, that's not into bikes, but sometimes comes across them, to post a picture of a bike he picked up from a Chicago basement clean-out guy, back in February, I think it was. This bike was a complete turd, but I was very liberal in my assessment of it, and told him, as bad as it looks, it's a rare one. Don't take less than $1000. He sold it in a day. 1939 Monark. . . $4000.00 Jeeeez!
Speaking of Schwinns with Patina, does anyone remember the Schwinn Phantom that Memory Lane had displayed in their entryway to their store? It had been 2/3's buried in the ground for many years. The bottom 1/3 rotted clean off. Funny thing, my neighbor came over Monday. He's retired like me. He got wind of some big old building packed with old Chevy speed parts. The owner, about 90, passed away, and his kids want the building emptied. Said he counted 25 very old Schwinns plus a sh*tload of Whizzers, old pedal cars, lots of Whizzer parts, motor cycles, scooters and on and on. He took pictures and was supposed to send them to me, guess I'll have to go over to his house today and remind him. I'm curious, but I told him I've saddled myself with enough junk of my own, and have no ambition to seek more. My point is, there's so much "good stuff" out there still stashed away, rotting in an old pole barn or shed. That's the stuff that should be saved. I told my neighbor to contact the people. Tell them about the CABE. Post pictures of the bikes, stating they know nothing about bikes. And, like so many heirs to Dad's hoard has done in the past, dispose of his treasure, right here on the CABE. I look forward to seeing the stuff posted here. Anyway, whether it's a turd, or polished gold, have fun , life is short. By the way, my daughter had a baby this morning. Baby girl. Gave birth at home, no problems.

Update: Just went over to the neighbor's house. He's like me and could not get the photos on his phone to go to my computer. [sounds like me, computer incompetent ] Anyway, I saw the pictures and everything is pretty well jammed up. I did see lots of newer stuff. Looks like about a 150 bikes, and he says at least 25 are classic old Schwinns. He was back over there today and told the sons about the CABE. We'll see if they contact us.
The spice of life is that there is a butt for every seat, some guys like fat girls some guys like skinny girls, hell some guys like guys....
What i mean to say is that saving and rebuilding rusty bikes that are in terrible shape and giving them a new life makes me happy, it gives me fullfillment when most of my life is a 8-5 repetition machine! Nice shiny bikes are cool but they offer me zero challenge, they dont need me because someone is always fighting over the shiny ones. The rusty ones like this one in question, it needs me because without folks like me its story would die off. I was the ugly duckling in school, the nerd that was bullied constantly and tormented and this bike is alot like that....it deserves a second chance to feel the wind rattle thru its fenders.
I dont expect my oddball love of rusty forgotten “parts bikes” to make sense to anyone anytime soon but that is almost part of the charm for me in the end.
Takes alot of passion and determination to save these bikes...just really does my heart good at the end of the day.

Haha its probably an undiagnosed mental illness....BUT, at least im happy!
But…. At the end of the day, you’ve built something. You’ve saved something. You’ve given new life to something… that stuff. Those things. They have stories and they will far outlive you…. I’m with you, I build my stuff to ride. To ride a bunch. To throw in a truck bed or on a bike rack and haul to our next vacation spot. The bikes are apart of the adventure too.

A few years ago my wife and I started taking a pair of bikes on trips. We were walking through a little shop and discovered little badges meant to affix to paddles or walking sticks, i thought they were perfect to track our bikes adventures…

My ‘39 DX is my adventure bike…

Back