When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taller stem or mini/ape handlebar??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
i have a few classic schwinns (Collegiate/Racer/Corvette) from the 50's and 60's that would be more comfortable with either a taller stem (wald 511 or Sunlite 21.1 riser stem) or mini ape hangers. some reviews of the Sunlite stem were fair as far quality and appearance. Regarding riser bars the Wald 870 or 880 might the trick. the 870 doesnt seem to have enough real estate to fit a grip/brake lever/shifters. I would to hear from others who have dealt with this and what they have used, especially handlebars

The Sunlite stem is basic quality. They're generally Chinese-made, basic steel, relatively thin plating. They're functional but you can tell it's kind of a cheap modern thing. Wald's modern stuff is usually OK. Again, it's basic steel, relatively thin plating. Of the two options, I'd go for the taller stem before changing the bars. The stem will tend to raise the bars but preserve the ergonomics and style of bars you're using (assuming you like the stock bars). If you change the bar type, you get more of a different feel and look. There was a "tall" type Schwinn Razorback reproduction series of stems made number of years ago. These were of better quality than Sunlite. I had a bike quite a few years ago where I started with the tall Sunlite stem but moved on pretty quickly when I found the tall "Schwinn" reproduction razorback. Maybe look for one of those. Are the frames of the bikes themselves tall enough for you and it's just a matter of the stem/bars?

I say go with a stem you like. To me it's equally important as seat tubes because you can always adjust both to better fit just about anything frame wise. Bars will definitely change the look & feel which can be great but when it comes to shifters & hand brakes I don't seem to have much luck finding aftermarket or sometimes stock bars that accommodate as well as what it came with. I wanted mini 13.5" apes on an orange kulana moon dog & it would work but I would have to either sacrifice full grips or push both the twist shift & the brake lever so close it wasn't comfortable to brake. Went back to the wide curved bars & raised the stem almost as high as it went & lowered the seat all the way down to the reflector. Personally I like ride comfortably low on a bike vs feeling like I am sitting on the roof of a car while riding high over the bars.

Some modern stems just seem to be taller than some older classics. I might choose a chrome-plated no-name import, as long as the 21 vs 22 mm width was correct.

Always liked what the kids did to customize in the 50's, cycletruck neck & butterfly bars ( my cousin did it to his 55 Spitfire that I still have ) so keeping with vintage parts for your custom. Even Larry & the Beaver did it!

Back