When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tank? Anyone?

-
A

atomickat

Hello all.
I rescued this bike from a garbage heap. I think it's a Murray Meteor or something along those lines.
I've included a few pictures. Does anyone know where I could find a tank.
Either original or reproduction. Am I correct to assume that a tank from a women's model will not fit on a men's?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Carl

Attachments

• _DSC8745.jpg
    _DSC8745.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC_8732.jpg
    DSC_8732.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_8736.jpg
    DSC_8736.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 231
It looks like the same frame as my JC Higgins flightliner, and it definitely has the brackets for a tank. It also has a bracket for a missing truss on the fork. I've never seen reproductions for the tank, but they're relatively common on eBay. Girls tank won't fit, since it surrounds the head tube at a different angle. I know that 60s Higgins and Murrays have a lot of the same parts.

I know there are others on here that know a lot more about it; I'm working on a Flightliner right now, so I recognize the parts.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's missing things. It has Schwinn rims and what looks like a Schwinn chain guard as well. Which, I think kinda gives it some character.
I appreciate the info. I'll keep looking. Good luck with your project.
Carl

Western flyer also

I rebuilt as western flyer last year like your bike. It had the chain guard
like yours, which I took off and used on another bike. It has a tank that I was able to repair. It is my favorite rider now. I can't figure out how to send picture here yet, but I can email you a picture if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost finished

Thanks for the post. I kept the chainguard as well. I'm having the frame painted as we speak. I can't wait to assemble the finished product. Actually, I can't wait to start a new project. I've had such a blast working on this one.
I'll post pictures when I'm done.
Thanks again,
Carl

The chainguard looks like an aftermarket replacement. I believe McCauley had a few that were styled after original manufacturer's guards. That one looks similar to ones used by Snyder/Rollfast and columbia in the 30s and 40s. The originals were painted, so a chrome one would be aftermarket. ~Adam

I have that same chainguard on a Firestone girls bike

higgins / murray

i have this exsact bike mine is a higgins my tank is red with crome ring but i know murray made it for there self because have it two ill see if i can get some picks for you they also have carriers your correct rims should be raised center super komets coaster brake hope this helps:)

ive got a middlewieght tank

if you just want something not sure what its for maybe colombia its never been used has battery holder and switch inside, black with 4 white stars on each side $25+shipping

Back