When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taught/loose chain issue:'63 Raleigh Sports

-

slowride

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello Cabers!

Here's a good mystery for you experts!

Finishing up on of my '63 sports and am having an issue where chain is tight/loose depending on crank sprocket rotation. When you rotate the crank the chain tightens and loosens depending on the angle of the crank arm. On the drive side, when crank arm is at 9-o-clock there is 7/8" deflection but at 3-o-clock less than 1/4". With this adjustment the chain binds. Please see the pictures. I have another '63 sports that does not have this problem so in order to try to isolate the problem I did the following one at a time:

1) Swapped out chain,
2) Swapped out bottom bracket axle
3) Swapped out bottom bracket adjustable cup
4) Swapped out bottom bracket crank
5) Swapped out entire rear wheel.

Also of note, I put all new bearings in bottom bracket but I did not swap out BB fixed cup. I used the friction method to remove the fixed cup on another bike but since then I heard you can damage it this way so did not on this bike. Based on everything, I think maybe the BB fixed cup is worn. The BB was definately not serviced since 1963 as it was bone dry and did not rotate freely prior to opeing it. Please see pictures of original adjustable cup as reference/clue of what fixed cup wear may look like.

Lastly just FYI, I used a method found online to check for proper chainline whereby you take string and tie one end on non-drive side rear drop out loop around head tube then back to drive side rear drop out then measure distance from string on both sides as it passes seat tube ; using this admitidly crude method the frame seems very straight. From there you then measure from crank sproket to center of seat tube and use this as guide for building the rear hub( OLD (over locknut dimension) )in order to ensure the rear sprocket is in line with the crank sprocket. I did this because the hub appeared to to have been serviced at one time and based on other work on the bike I did not trust it to have been properly re-assembled.

In conclusion, if I adjust the chain tightness so there is 1/2" deflection at the tightest point in the crank rotation (3-o-clock) , the loosest deflection is 1" (at 9-o-clock). For just casual riding this will probably not be an issue but I've spent so much time totally refurbishing this bike I want it to be right! Thanks for you're expertise everyone!

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

Good loo
Hello Cabers!

Finishing up on of my '63 sports and am having an issue where chain is tight/loose depending on crank sprocket rotation. When you rotate the crank the chain tightens and loosens depending on the angle of the crank arm. On the drive side, when crank arm is at 9-o-clock there is 7/8" deflection but at 3-o-clock less than 1/4". With this adjustment the chain binds. Please see the pictures. I have another '63 sports that does not have this problem so in order to try to isolate the problem I did the following one at a time:

1) Swapped out chain,

Also of note, I put all new bearings in bottom bracket but I did not swap out BB fixed cup. I used the friction method to remove the fixed cup on another bike but since then I heard you can damage it this way so did not on this bike. Based on everything, I think maybe the BB fixed cup is worn. The BB was definately not serviced since 1963 as it was bone dry and did not rotate freely prior to opeing it. Please see pictures of original adjustable cup as reference/clue of what fixed cup wear may look like.

Lastly just FYI, I used a method found online to check for proper chainline whereby you take string and tie one end on non-drive side rear drop out loop around head tube then back to drive side rear drop out then measure distance from string on both sides as it passes seat tube ; using this admitidly crude method the frame seems very straight. From there you then measure from crank sproket to center of seat tube and use this as guide for building the rear hub( OLD (over locknut dimension) )in order to ensure the rear sprocket is in line with the crank sprocket. I did this because the hub appeared to to have been serviced at one time and based on other work on the bike I did not trust it to have been properly re-assembled.

In conclusion, if I adjust the chain tightness so there is 1/2" deflection at the tightest point in the crank rotation (3-o-clock) , the loosest deflection is 1" (at 9-o-clock). For just casual riding this will probably not be an issue but I've spent so much time totally refurbishing this bike I want it to be right! Thanks for you're expertise everyone!

View attachment 789923

View attachment 789925

View attachment 789926

View attachment 789927

View attachment 789928

View attachment 789929

View attachment 789930
Good looking bike!! This may not be the answer, but this is what I have learned about sprocket roundness. They aren't.
On a chain drive unicycle, any slop feels scary. I did what you have done to eliminate it. No luck either. With a unicycle the sprockets are the same size. I realized that the sprockets are usually out of round, much like the ergonomic chainrings, but not visibly. By "timing" the two sprockets to be eccentric at the same time, I could eliminate the slop and tightness of the chain. This won't work with different sized sprockets. My suggestion is to live with it, or replace the egg shaped eccentric sprocket. The front is probably the culprit due to its size.

Good loo

Good looking bike!! This may not be the answer, but this is what I have learned about sprocket roundness. They aren't.
On a chain drive unicycle, any slop feels scary. I did what you have done to eliminate it. No luck either. With a unicycle the sprockets are the same size. I realized that the sprockets are usually out of round, much like the ergonomic chainrings, but not visibly. By "timing" the two sprockets to be eccentric at the same time, I could eliminate the slop and tightness of the chain. This won't work with different sized sprockets. My suggestion is to live with it, or replace the egg shaped eccentric sprocket. The front is probably the culprit due to its size.
Hello Cabers!

1) Swapped out chain,

View attachment 789923

View attachment 789925

View attachment 789926

View attachment 789927

View attachment 789928

View attachment 789929

View attachment 789930
Bent chainring?

Take the chain off and spin the front crank fast to see if the Ring is out of round. Watch it closely while it spins free...sometimes you can mess with the ring, but usually not.
This loose/tight scenario happens a lot with old fixed 1"-pitch chains and rings, which when worn out together are all over the place. If you piece together a skip-tooth(1" pitch) chain with worn sections from other chains, it really gets bad.

Hi everyone, thanks for taking time to give advice. The very odd thing is I swapped out chain ring and entire wheel from my other '63 sports (black step through) that I was refurbishing at the same time and it didn't make any difference on the red bike. Again I Swapped chain, chain ring, bb axle, adjustable cup; nothing made any difference...

IMG_0912.JPG

Two thoughts.
1. Are you saying that you've moved all drive train components from one bike to the other, and they don't have play on one bike but do on the other?
2. I looked at one of my bikes, and I have the chain set to just right at the tight spot, and at the loose spot I've got nearly an inch of play. It rides like a dream.

sounds like the one place you have left to look is the drive sprocket and drive bearing on the SA hub.
cimg2839.jpg
cimg2838.jpg

If the hub driver bearing was highly worn or the the drive sprocket somehow not properly seated, it could be eccentric on the axle, and might give you the same symptom.
- oops, never mind on this - you did swap out the wheel

If it always appears at the same phase of the crank, seems like the eccentricity would have to be in the crank/BB.

If it's related to pedaling load, though, you could have something like chainstay flex (produces ghost shifting on a derailleur bike) and you wouldn't be able to identify it with the bike on a work stand.
Take the chain off and spin the front crank fast to see if the Ring is out of round. Watch it closely while it spins free...sometimes you can mess with the ring, but usually not.
This loose/tight scenario happens a lot with old fixed 1"-pitch chains and rings, which when worn out together are all over the place. If you piece together a skip-tooth(1" pitch) chain with worn sections from other chains, it really gets bad.
back to the crank - it should be easy enough to rig some kind of runout indicator on a work stand to the check the crank and chainset for out-of-roundness - you just need a stick over the crank parallel to the spindle that you can measure the gap to the chainset teeth as you rotate the crank.
Just throwing out ideas.

Last edited:
Back