When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taxing eBay sales pending legislation

-

Nickinator

Riding my '38 Deluxe Bluebird
FYI- Legislators are (again) working on changing the laws so that ALL your hobby sales on ebay and other online sites like Etsy etc will be taxed.

Don't want to start any political rants here, this is not the breakroom, but if you care to sign the petition to oppose it, here is the link (you may also get this link emailed to you if you have an ebay account.)

https://www.ebaymainstreet.com/peti...ource=marketing-email-seller&utm_medium=email

Darcie

I am not sure how I feel about this. As an ebay seller, this could become a real hassle unless ebay has to handle the distribution of sales tax. As a buyer, I really don't mind paying sales tax knowing it will help out our local communities. Online sales are killing our local brick and mortar retail locations and legislation like this may just help our local communities. The lack of sales tax paid in any given municipality effects everybody as there is less money for local infrastructure. Drive around and look at the empty retail spaces in your community. A lot of these are empty because of online shopping. Quite often the reason people are buying online is because they are not paying sales tax, which becomes another 5-9% savings from buying online.

Yes, this comes from me selling retail bikes for 35 years. I know how this effects my bottom line, but also know when I collect less sales tax, it directly effects how much that I am sending to the local tax man that makes sure I have good streets to drive on, good police and fire protection, etc.

Food for thought.

Scott

How the Supreme Court decides South Dakota v. Wayfair will be important at the state sales tax level. They heard argument earlier this term. It is big case for online retail, but is being overshadowed in the press by other cases and the usual political junk stories.

Paying sales tax on an item online isn’t the biggest issue for me, I agree with Scott that its killing our mom and pop, brick and mortar shops- but that you would also be required to count the sale, and may have to pay income tax on it. We’ll see if the amounts of the income change, before you get a 1099.
Darcie

Back